Anyone used an electronic flasher control relay? | FerrariChat

Anyone used an electronic flasher control relay?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Steve, Jul 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I'm considering switching most of my bulbs on the 512 TR to LED. For the turn signals, rather than wire an in-line resistor to all six bulbs (two in front, four in back) to make sure the flash rate stays original, has anyone had success with an electronic flasher relay like this?

Amazon.com: Novita EP27 Flasher: Automotive

It appears to have the same 5-pin configuration as the Bosch 0 332 204 101 (aka Bosch 332 209 151, aka Tyco V23234-A0001-X037), and that's the relay that the manual tells me runs the turn signals (Page L15: P- Relay for flashing).

Thanks!

2. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Hmm... just found this thread in which it looks like a 512 TR owner was able to use a flasher control module in place of the OEM relay.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/421846-led-retrofit-112-octane-fuel-only-one.html

However, the photo of his OEM flasher relay shows a 3 prong, not the 5 that the manual says. I guess I'm going to have to go out to the garage and actually look in the fusebox to see what kind it is...

Gotta love it when the manual causes doubt. :)

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    There are more than one threads here about changing to leds guys !

4. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Yes, and I've read as many as I could find. :)

5. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I honestly dont know what the bulb type is in the 512 so I could be wrong but in previous cars I've been able to source LEDs that are designed as direct replacements with the correct built in resistance.

Maybe you've already searched the usual channels like eBay using the correct bulb code but if not give it a try and see what comes up. The last time I did this was on the running lights for my Vette and rear side repeaters. Works perfectly.

6. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Thx, N17RO. I have in the past, too.. but they have all been the "spade" type base used on newer cards, not the older bayonet base style used on the 90s era Ferraris.

I'm gonna just do trial and error and report my results via a blog post.

7. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Ok - turns out that the 5-pin relay in the boot area that's marked "flashers" is NOT what controls the turn signals. I pulled that relay and the turn signals continued to work just fine.

The relay that controls them is located under the passenger-side dash, and is a standard 3-pin blinker relay.

So I'm going forward with the electronic 3-pin version and hope it works. :)

Will report my findings.

8. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    Got the replacement LED flasher relay. Fits great... doesn't work.

Inspecting it explained why: the + and - terminals are swapped. DOH!

So I need to fab some small extensions with spade connectors to swap sides, or find a different relay with the right pin-outs.

9. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins