How I installed a starter button in a 512TR | FerrariChat

How I installed a starter button in a 512TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Jul 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #1 JIMBO, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Many TR owners have had problems with no-start in hot conditions. In my 1994 512TR I traced the problem back to the fusebox. Many years ago I installed a relay at the starter solenoid which worked well for 30K+ miles but eventually led to catastrophic starter failure when enough voltage leaked into the circuit to fire the relay while I was driving.

The real answer to this problem is to perform the Dave Helms gold connector upgrade, but until then I propose an auxilliary starter button as a temporary solution.

Let's review the starter circuit on a 512TR. Power comes from the battery to the ignition switch. With the key in START position, power travels from the ignition switch via a white wire to Connector I, position 1 on the fuse box and magically exits the fuse box via another white wire at Connector F, position 1, and from there via the wiring harness to a round connector under the driver's side rear fender and finally to the 12V connector on the starter solenoid itself.

My first modification was to place a jumper wire from (I)1 to (F)1 and this did seem to help. You can not just remove the (I)1 wire from the plastic connector because it also serves as ground to other circuits (turn signals, flashers, etc). I still would occasionally have to pop the hood, open the fusebox cover and jiggle the connectors to get her to start (very embarrassing).

I went on EBay and found a tiny momentary-on button (there are many start-button kits on EBay and Amazon complete with relays and instructions as well as many YouTube videos that describe the installation).

I have a bunch of heavy duty relays and holders and I had previously installed a dedicated power cable and junction box for my Dave Helms Fusebox Conversion. The 12V power in to the relay came from the junction box which was previously mounted in the AC dryer compartment. Ground to the relay came from a mounting bolt for hood latch(see photos). 12V power out to the starter was routed through the AC hose grommet into the fuse box compartment and then to the white wire going to the starter out of (F)1.

I located the switch next to the radio, so it could not accidentally be pushed while the car was running (very bad). I drilled a small hole (5/16") and then poked around with a piece of aluminum welding rod until I found a passage through to the back of the fuse box compartment (easier if the fuse box and the secondary panel are removed first). I then taped the push button wires to the welding rod and fed them through.

One of the push button wires needs to be hooked to an ignition-ON 12v source (I chose the top 3rd fuse from the driver's side on the fuse box) and the other push button wire is routed along the back of the fuse box compartment, through the same AC grommet and into the dryer compartment where it is attached to the 12V actuating wire to the relay.

All connections were soldered and heat shrink wrapped and neatly tucked away. The relay was mounted as shown.

Now, if the starter ever fails to turn over, I merely open the radio hatch, push the magic button and nobody is the wiser.

I hope this helps.

Photo 1: White jumper (I)1 -(F)1 with purple relay wire temporarily attached. Note black push button wire at 3rd fuse from right.
    Photo 2: 12V power junction box from battery and power-IN wire to relay
    Photo 3: Ground attachment
    Photo 4: Junction box and relay secure in place. Note two wires following the AC hose through grommet into fuse box compartment
    Photo 5: Dryer compartment all cleaned up.
    Photo 6 and 7: Push button installed
    Photo 8: Fuse Box neat and tidy
    Photo 9: Push Button
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Awesome job!

Sent via itty bitty electrons

3. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    That's great Jim! Thanks for the writeup and detailed photos. Maybe it's my next rainy day project.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    well done jim, but what do you think about connecting the relais with the minus not directly to the ground. why not connect it to the generator control lamp. there is minus when the engine is not running, and when the engine runs there is plus and so the relais can not work. may be your son or daughter or someone else will push once the buttom beside the radio during driving??? you never know :(

awatkins likes this.
  5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    That might just work, Turbo-Joe. I wonder if the starter turning over the engine and generator would make enough current to kill the relay before the car started???

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    with starting revolutions the generator is not bringing so much plus to disconnect the relais from minus.

I did this in some other cars and works fine

7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    So, I would leave all other connections as described above, but route relay ground (minus) to the alternator control lamp? Sounds easily do-able. Turbo-Joe, do you know where the circuit to the generator control lamp can be found? I wonder if there are any other electrical circuits connected to that lamp?

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I connected directly when I had the instruments out. but you may look at the wiring diagram. I´m sure somewhere would be a connector where you may go to without removing the instrumets panel
    I just had a look at the wiring diagram page I 18, the connectors C11 or C7 you may use. it is the GV wire ( giallo-verde, yellow-green )

9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    What circuits do these wires energize?

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this GV wire is coming from the generator and goes to the generator lamp
    please have a look in the wiring diagram, then you see and don´t have to ask if you can read this wiring diagram?

11. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins