How do you know if O2 sensors and injectors are ok? | FerrariChat

How do you know if O2 sensors and injectors are ok?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bpu699, Sep 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    In a modern car, if something goes screwy your check engine light goes off...

A testarossa doesn't have that. There is the light that tells you if either side exhaust temps are up (Slow Down light), but that seems pretty inaccurate... Its more erratic and random than not.

So, how do you know that an 02 sensor is malfunctioning? Or one side is lean/rich/etc?

I haven't seen any mention of folks replacing o2 sensors on this board, and its not even part of the major service...

Are they just not an issue?

Bo

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    With the help of Steve M I hooked my multimeter up to the O2 sensors and checked voltages. The thread is in this area somewhere.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the engine light goes on, not off

the O2 sensors have nothing to do with the slow down lights, those are operated by temperature sensors and each bank a small ECU

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Hey Bo,
    On my 87 Mercedes, I borrowed a mixture sensor from my mechanic. It measured voltage from the O2 sensor and displayed the reading on an LED 'Christmas Tree". Once you got the mixture right, the green lights would be illuminated. All you are measuring is the voltage on the O2 sensor to dial it in. Like Joe Said, you can do this with a Multimeter, I just dont have the values handy.

Regarding the Slow down lights, they are hit and miss even when new. They only tell you if A) you have a cat melting (too munch fuel) or B) The Cat ECU's are failing (probable cause).

Im sure the WSM has a specific procedure for setting mixture correctly. I set mine by smell and RPM until I could get it into the shop an have it done perfectly. Turns out I was able to get it close enough to pass emissions fine, but it was a little off when in the shop.

5. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Thanks guys. I was planning to check during the major...

I guess I was asking if there was any way to know during regular use that one of these items failed...

From what I gather, you really can't. So many of us could be driving with bad sensors, and the ecu running full rich... And not know it?

6. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I always replaced the O2 sensors when performing a major service, as a preventive measure. I believe that over time the O2s can become "sluggish" even though they are still sending signals to the ECUs. I think the duty cycle voltage range is something like 0.2 to 0.8 volts.