Weight saving, carbon seats | FerrariChat

Weight saving, carbon seats

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Themaven, Sep 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Anyone know what the weight saving on the factory carbon race seats on a 512M is over the standard seats? Ferrari blurb talks of a "significant weight reduction" but gives no figures.

2. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Going from experience with other cars or can be as much as 6kgs per seat for seats of similar size and leather finish.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The CF saves a bit of weight but the leather upholstery adds weight. There prob a bit lighter.

If you want to get serious about losing weight there are other things to do, depending on how extreme you want to go.

Btw I was told the seats are built by SPARCO under exclusive contract w F

4. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Recaro! ;) I was wrong with Sparco, too.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Appreciated, thank you. Yes, they are Recaro. I suspected they were not that much of a weight saving..

6. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Darius, if you are looking at weight saving the seas are the last thing to look at.
    Just go see the weight of a brake disc, caliper and upright on each corner of the car. Seat is peanuts in comparison.. JMO

P

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I see, thank you Phil. It was more of a philosophical question, looking through the original sales material which claimed the weight saving for the carbon seats I have...and it sounds like it was just that, sales material. They look cool and are comfortable though.