BB512 Radiator fan switch | FerrariChat

BB512 Radiator fan switch

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by John B, Sep 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #1 John B, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At what temp is the temperature switch on the BB512 supposed to kick the fans on?
    Mine doesn't come on until the dash gauge shows about 105 C, but a Pyrometer on the radiator inlet and engine hoses shows 89 C. I wired all three fans to run and would like them to come on at 180F or about 82C. Can anyone recommend a lower temp switch that fits?

Ricambi shows the following, but does not stipulate a temperature. Also worth noting is it's on the outlet portion of the radiator, which is about 10-15 C cooler than the inlet side.

52 = Part # 168008 Thermocontatto
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t know when this switch will shut on, sorry.

the thread of this switch is M 22x1,5, and those switches are in nearly all european cars from this area. go to a local distrbutor for car parts and have a look if you could find a switch with lower switch on temperature. for example VW or AUDI has it.

but when the temp is 105 ° C at the gauge ( you are sure that this is the right temperature?? ) and the inlet hose is only 89°C then I think you have a problem with the waterpump or with the radiator let not enough water through. but when you meassure the temperature at the hose outside it is about 2-4 ° less then inside

I put in my BB a switch with 77° C to switch on and to switch off at 73°C

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    See page 73 in your OM (when coolant temp reaches 84 deg C = fans on; when coolant temp falls to 75 deg C = fans off).

The water temp gauge in the cabin is driven by a thermister mounted where the hot coolant exits the cylinder heads (item 6 here: http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_catalogs.php?M=FE&P=&V=diag&I=3477) -- check the temperature of that casting (item 5) with your Pyrometer too. That casting should be at about the same temperature as the inlet to the radiator if the thermostat is working correctly (although not sure how you can really be sure about the emissivitiy of each surface you are measuring).

Or the thermostat is not closing completely/well - which would let hot coolant just recirculate in the engine without ever going to the radiator (assuming that it's not just the gauge being a little inaccurate).

4. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll try to get a VW or Audi 77on / 73off as Turbo Joe did.

5. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For what it's worth, I just took my BBi on a 500 mile round trip last weekend. The temperature stayed between just under and just over 90 degrees C.

6. bikerider

bikerider Karting

Feb 19, 2012
    Maryland
    my fans kick on at 90 degrees C - all three are wired to come on at the same time