'88 TR hard starting problem | FerrariChat

'88 TR hard starting problem

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shinny, Sep 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shinny

Shinny Rookie

Jul 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave Schinbeckler
    Sometimes my TR fires right up. Other times, it will turn over and over but only cough a couple of times. Then I hit the key again and it starts. The problem is electrical, somewhere. There must be a relay or solenoid in the ignition circuit that is sticking open temporarily. I have looked at the schematic but nothing is jumping out at me. Has anyone here experienced a similar problem, or can suggest a commonly occurring fault point? BTW, I have installed Dave Helms' fuse panel upgrade.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    First thing is to have a look at the fuse panel connections. Repair those first if needed. Check grounds etc and go from there..

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you have those starting problems?
    when the engine is cold or warm or it does not matter if cold or warm?

4. Shinny

Shinny Rookie

Jul 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave Schinbeckler
    Joe, it doesn't seem to matter whether the engine is hot or cold. There is no pattern that I can discern.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so you have this starting problem cold and warm engine, but only sometimes?
    you can not say before you start if it will run or not?
    how old are the fuel filters?
    the sparks?
    the ignition wires? check the resistance first before you go deeper in this problem.

6. Shinny

Shinny Rookie

Jul 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave Schinbeckler
    Joe, it is disconcerting when you get in the car and wonder if it is going to start. But I am convinced the problem is spark, not fuel, because once started, it keeps running smoothly. I have never changed the fuel filters, but will have a look at the service records tomorrow to see how old they are. The car has new plugs, but I have never changed the wires. What resistance should I be seeing in them?

Dave

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Disconnect & Reconnect all of the electrical connectors in the engine bay, don't forget the ones under the coolant expansion tank. As for the resistance of the plug wires, I believe the resistance is approximately 600 ohms per foot. Make sure the coil wires are fully seated upwards into the coils...if the retainers are missing they can sometimes creep downwards resulting in an intermittent connection.

8. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had a similar problem with my 88TR and while I thought it was spark, it turned out to be the bendix in the starter. It sounded like the starter was always turning and working but the motor was not always turning. Worth a check as it was only a $20 replace the bendix as Summit auto had a close out.

9. Shinny

Shinny Rookie

Jul 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave Schinbeckler
    I checked the service records and see no evidence that the fuel filters have ever been changed. The car did have the major service at 21,000 miles - is fuel filter replacement part of the major service? If not, then the fuel filters are likely original and I will look into replacing them. The car has nearly 30,000 miles on it.
    I have disconnected and reconnected all of the electrical connections in the engine bay and examined them for signs of burning or corrosion. They all look good. Also reset the coil wires, both high- and low-tension. I will drive it a bit and see if that did any good.
    Thanks for all the tips

Dave

10. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes...fuel filter changes are part of the major service.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    This is what many threads already are written about ...

Read those therads, pull the big white connectors then and ..... hope you are a lucky guy .... :D

12. Shinny

Shinny Rookie

Jul 5, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave Schinbeckler
    Melvok, thanks for the tip. The fuse panel and white connectors are all fine. I installed Dave Helm's fuse panel upgrade last year and fixed the connectors. I just came back from a 900 mile trip to Michigan and am pleased to report I had no issues whatever. Before I left I disconnected and reconnected all of the electrics in the engine bay, inspected everything, and blew out female connectors with compressed air. Something was dirty and intermittent in there. Thanks to one and all for all the advice.