TR Gas Cap | FerrariChat

TR Gas Cap

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Rostami6, Sep 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    #1 Rostami6, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This maybe a silly question. I used the search but didn't find anything. This gas cap came with my 86 TR when I bought it. Is the metal cap from factory? I am getting a little annoyed from the second degree burn I get on my hands every time I try to put gas in the car!
    Do they all come with this cap?
    Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    #2 chabch, Sep 29, 2015
    No, TRs never came with a metal gas cap. This is how they look like.

If you decide to go back to the original one, don't be fooled by people selling used ones for 150$, they are Fiat gas cap and can be found for very cheap. Look for FIAT part #4305673 (for Fiat 124 and Lancia Beta)

3. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Great. I figured that's what it was. I will be ordering one today. Thank you for the information.

4. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    And someone will pay you a good price for the one you have if you are not turning it into a n art piece to hang on your wall...:)

5. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Sorry, but that is not true. My car came with metal cap and I am the original owner of the car.

6. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    With all due respect, I'm struggling with the fact that you had this 360 gas cap back then from the factory. How does yours look? Is it exactly the same as pictured above?? Or a different metal one?

I don't even believe the metal ones made it to the 512TR and 512M, so I'd love to understand what is going on here!

I'll let other chime in as well.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The 512 came with the aluminum cap. So did the 348 and it was in production long before the TR stopped. The last TR parts book lists the early steel/rubber cap with the alloy cap listed to be used on exhaustion of the steel/rubber cap. I suspect some late production cars came with the alloy cap.

Tifoso1, what year is your car?

I see in your profile it is a 91 so not surprised at all. Our 90 has the steel/rubber.

Its Ferrari. Never say never or always.

8. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    That is correct, sir. The car is a late model 1991 (Build Date April of 1991, took delivery June of the same year), one of the last few Testarossa that came off the line right before the 512tr went into production. From what I have been told, both by dealership and independent shop, the car actually has some 512tr parts on it. As I understood it, this is not an uncommon practice at Ferrari for cars produced during transition from one model to the next, is that true ?

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    My 87 Testarossa has the rubber cap. My 95 512M has the metal cap OP pictured. It's never felt too hot, even after spirited driving, but I write from London, not Texas. Oil filler cap is similar. Nice feel.

10. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I don't know about it dimensions but it looks exactly like the one you posted.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well Ferrari was trying very hard to discontinue the TR. The 512 was originally announced to be a 91 but technical problems delayed it. All the early 512 manuals say 91 Testarossa on them. The 512 was a very different car so not a great deal of interchangeability. Still would not surprise me if a few found their way across.

12. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Well, I stand corrected! Brian is the TR bible, thanks for these interesting details!

13. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Brian, I need to stop by your shop and meet you in person! I was told you were at the lunch in Driftwood this past weekend by someone at my table. But I think you left before I could find you!

14. 512man

512man Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tobbe
    My 92 512TR has exact the same filler cap as my 04 360 Spider and my 88 TR has rubbercap.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We had to leave early due to another commitment. Feel free to stop by sometime.

PM me if you need address/directions.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #16 Melvok, Sep 30, 2015
  17. meantestarossa

meantestarossa Karting

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Ron McDaniel
    My 1991 Testarossa came with the metal gas cap with the Ferrari script as well.

fridolin_pt likes this.
  18. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Very interesting. My 512TR had the metal cap too.

I have 3 of the aluminum caps with 'Ferrari' on them. Currently you can find them on ebay from $259 to $450. I'll do half the lowest price. PM me if interested.

19. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    #19 Rostami6, Oct 4, 2015
    It was around 80 degrees here today. So it was not a hot day. I took a 20 mile drive and when I got back I checked the surface temperature and took a couple of pictures. So nobody else has this problem?!

20. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That is an Italian design feature. It disinfects itself and your hands after going to the gas station.

21. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Haha. It disinfects by burning off your skin!

22. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Yes, my aluminium cap gets pretty hot also, after a 30-40 minute drive its probably a similar temp to yours (almost too hot to touch) . Just an Italian design oversight , as others have noted!!
    BR,
    Jez

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A substantial portion of the fuel pumped to the motor gets returned to the tank. The ambient temps of the engine bay combined with the temperatures of the fuel injection components cause the fuel to get hot. The less fuel in the tank, the faster this happens. Also because of the location of the cap, the radiant heat plays a part as well. The US, SA & CH version cars have a fuel cooling system to reduce the fuel heat but the A/C needs to be in use for it to work.

Fuel cooling has been used on many cars since the 80's for that reason. A metal cap becomes an indicator of an issue many do not no exists. I was driving our TR on one of the hot days this summer and when I parked it in the garage I heard the evap system purging quite a bit of pressure for some time after I shut it off in the garage. The pressure was a result of the fuel heat.

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    because of the heat F used the "plastic" gas cap originally

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Are we owners here aware that F has a real cooling system around these alloy gastanks ?

Or am I mistaken Romano ? :D