512TR prototype cars and engine info? | FerrariChat

512TR prototype cars and engine info?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dgt, Oct 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    From Red Headed - 512 TR

"They tested 24 engines in 22 prototypes (18 US versions and 4 Euro versions)."

Does someone out there have more information about the prototype cars and engines?
    I see a couple of USA S/N are noted. I'm interested in the engines also, how they were numbered etc.
    Thanks, Andrew

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I believe the first build of 512TR engines had components cast in December 1989 through early 1990 and were used in the prototype cars and possibly other early 512TR, press cars etc.
    The engine numbers were stamped differently than regular production engines, with very low numbers probably in the range 0-23 if the statements by Walter Vignale in the books by Progetti and Schruf are accurate (e.g. *00018*).

Also, these cars had regular production Testarossa gearbox stampings (type F110AB).

If you own an early production 512TR, please check if your engine number is in the range above. I'd be interested to know of any more out there, PM me.

Thanks, Andrew

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #3 Melvok, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Hi Andrew, why not pose your Q to the author of Red Headed direct ?

Ask all you want to Edvar via [email protected] ...

4. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Mel,
    I have the references Edvar was quoting from, Walter Vignale was the technical director at the time and seems to be the primary source for this information.

In any case, now that I understand the first series of engine and gearbox numbers I'm just asking others to be on the lookout for them. A few more might have been put into delivered 512TR.
    Thanks, Andrew

5. Christofer Olsson

Mar 30, 2018
    Hello!

I have the chassinumber 88207 and it has ABS and enginenumber 16 and gearbox number F110AB. Can you tell me more about the history of this car?

Thanks in advance

6. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Christofer,
    We spoke offline and certainly seems like you have maybe the 1st car build (in VIN sequence) after the prototype 512TR if the chassis number is correct.
    Can you post a pic of the mfg plate or the VIN number stamped into the body rail so I can see all the numbers and letters?
    Also maybe a pic of the engine#, I will post some for comparison.
    Regards, Andrew

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew