TR Fuel Line Question | FerrariChat

TR Fuel Line Question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by njcycleguy, Oct 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Last Friday my 1990 TR leaked fuel all over my garage floor after a short drive and a stop at the gas station. The leak was coming from underneath the car right behind the drivers door. The car only has 13k miles, has always been exceptionally maintained, and had it's last major less than 3 years ago with a recent service done in July.

It's at the dealer now and they are telling me that the fuel leak only occurs when the car is topped off and that the line that's failing is tough to reach. They are hoping they don't need to pull the engine to replace it and will try without doing so. Since I don't want to have this problem again, I asked about replacing all the fuel lines with stainless/braided lines. The service writer said there is no way to put original Ferrari ones on because they have threaded ends on them.

So the question is - do I replace with the standard rubber ones again to keep things original or does someone have a recommendation for a specific braided/stainless style they've used in the past?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    With the exception of the special CIS high pressure hoses with high pressure fittings, the braided stainless fuel hose still has rubber hose under the braid.

The braid only exists to prevent damage from exterior chaffing and rubbing. It in no way prolongs hose life from chemical exposure.

All those hoses at the fuel tank should have been replaced at the major service.

3. njcycleguy

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Thanks Brian. Since there's no tangible benefit, I'll just stick with the standard rubber hoses.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well now, let's think about that.

First of all, the NEW rubber lines are certified for the modern fuel blends, (alcohol) which your old ones are not.
    So, anything from NAPA is "different" from OEM.

As to the "hard to get" part, I would hang up laughing if a dealer ever called me, to say something silly like that!!

Don't be a part of upholding Ferraris international reputation, for exploding in flames and burning to the ground.
    Your hot water heater must not be in the garage, or your leak as decribed would have burned your house down.....

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    And that protective braid can slip over any fuel line product, at chafe points.

It does cost extra, for the snazzy end fittings......it sounds like he's talking about the filler neck coupling.
    That's a HUGE hose!

6. njcycleguy

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    How do you know if mine are/were not? As I said, major service was done less than 3 years ago and I've confirmed the invoice indicates they were part of the service. I'm assuming 3 years ago we had "certified" rubber hoses?

And the dealer never said a part was hard to get. What he said was that he couldn't retrofit OEM Ferrari braided lines that came on later cars like the 355 because the ends were threaded. I (mistakenly) assumed threaded lines were better in this application, but if Brian says there is no benefit, I'll stick with the standard rubber lines.

I guess I have to get more information on what exactly failed other than just being told a hard to reach fuel line.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #7 Rifledriver, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    I recently serviced a TR that had generic oil hose used in place of the fuel and evap hoses and that was done by a well known Ferrari shop that is spoken well of here regularly. It may have been rated for petro chemicals but not reformulated fuel. The car was a fire waiting to happen.

Lots of shops are using the wrong stuff in all kinds of applications and often it is being done at places with a big yellow sign with a black horse on it. Correct generic, bulk reformulated fuel hose is available for every application on the TR except for the filler and fuel pump suction hoses. Those I suggest SRI hose or the factory original hose. The factory hose is not as good and will not last as long but it will do the job.