'87 Testarossa at auction | FerrariChat

'87 Testarossa at auction

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by wlanast, Oct 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
  2. AKINSB

AKINSB Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Alex K
    William

Do you anything about the car. Also anything about the ProxyBid service which hosting the auction?

Best

AK

3. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Hi Alex,
    I know nothing about the online auction service.

I did go down to see the car with my neighbor, and there is a ton of work required on this Ferrari. I see the bid is $60k right now (I have no faith in the validity of that number because I don't trust auction houses, call me a cynic), and a ballpark guess is $40k to get in on the road and in excellent shape. Maybe less, maybe more, who knows with a car that has been sitting and what kind of abuse while bouncing around with collections personnel and the like.

Engine out for sure, a ding remover needs to work on every panel of the car, paint needs resurfacing, every finish in the engine bay including the block is shot. Interior looks pretty good, headlights don't work, driver's window not functioning, clutch is on the floor.

I know this car has been sitting for the better part of 10 years, but it does start after replacement of fuel pumps.

It all seems to be there, tools, spare, although the original head unit has been replaced.

I will be going to the auction just to see what happens, it is a few miles away.

4. AKINSB

AKINSB Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2013
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Alex K
    Thanks William. Appreciate your assessment. Let us know what it finally goes for. I likewise do not trust online bidding services.

Best

Alex

5. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Wow I wished i new about this auction yesterday. I would of been intrested!!

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sold for 71k plus premium
    strange ! ! !
    when there is to be soooo much to do on this car, why so high sold then? speculant who think to can make fast and easy money?

7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    In just a few years, this will seem to be an awesome price, even with the money needed to restore the car.

I think it's more than a fair price at under $100,000.

Sent via itty bitty electrons

8. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    With prices all over the place with this vintage Testarossa (the quick search I did showed from $97k to $160k+), I don't know how to assess this sale.

My gut tells me it is a decent deal for someone who wants to buy and keep the car, not so much for a turnaround.

In the end, this is an iconic Testarossa in the classic Ferrari color combination and the owner probably paid $250k for it in the '80s. There aren't anymore being made and that flat 12 experience is sublime. I hope it goes to a good home, there are great cars.

By the way, I have never been to an auction like that before, the people watching alone was worth going! I showered immediately upon returning home, lol!

9. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Last detail, the VIN of this '87 is: