Engine out- my turn | FerrariChat

Engine out- my turn

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Chief20123, Oct 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I’ve owned my 86 Testarossa nearly 3 years now, and it is time for a major. Previous owner had done the Major in 2010 at QV of London, in the UK, before he shipped it to Australia. When I bought it, I knew that an engine out service needed to be done every 5 years minimum. I thought of going to a Ferrari dealer or a good mechanic to do the major, but that’s all they do. We wanted to do a lot more. After a few months of reading all the threads on this Forum, I thought we would do it ourselves. There is so much assistance here, by so many members willing to assist. First thing we did was to get a 2 post Hoist. My garage does not have enough clearance so we installed the hoist at Paul’s home (my son) who has a much bigger garage. We then needed an engine cradle, so we built one with Robert Hayden’s engine cradle specs. (uzz32soarer). We also thought that, while the engine was out, we should upgrade the Diff. To make it easier we also built and Engine stand, once again, we built one similar to Robert’s Engine stand, by modifying 2 engine stands (Thanks Robert! Much appreciated).
    After reading Roberts “Aussie Testarossa rebuild” thread, we couldn’t stop at just the belts and diff. We were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to see Robert’s Classic Car collection, which was amazing. The Pantera, Mustang (I have a 66 Mustang myself), Thunderbird , Buick. and, off course, the Testarossa’s -an Amazing collection. The rebuilt engine was still in the Engine cradle completely restored. It was amazing.

Once we had the engine out, we thought, lets get all these nuts and bolts plated, so they will look like new. Then why not powder coat the engine frame, springs, paint the radiators, Oil Cooler restore the shockers and the list goes on.
    Some photos to follow. (when I work out how to upload)

2. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thank you. Thank you. Not a single mention about value or price.

I can't wait to see what you have done. Is your TR back on the road?

3. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #3 Chief20123, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #7 Chief20123, Oct 21, 2015
  5. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Love it. I really want to see how you do the differential. I really need to do the change on my car.

6. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi Fred,
    IKON shocks in Albury have the seals for the Koni shocks, Geoff is a great guy, very helpful. 4x seals and oil was just over $100.
    The oil hoses for the firewall are available from Proflow/CVW /mtre length, unscrew the adaptors and plate them then assemble into the new hose. A/N size -16 and -12 (1" and 3/4")Braided S/S oil/gas application. Bit of a bugger to get started ,but they do fit. cut to same length as yr originals.

The Koni's are a breeze to refurb after you get the retainer collar off, got plenty of pics if you need them

Robs prop shafts are a work of art!

Cheers
    Pete
    Perth, WA

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    While you are there, get rid of that horrendous chrome horse on the back grill :)

Have fun, great pictures !

8. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks for the info, Pete. We will now unscrew the adaptors and get them plated, then assemble into new hoses. (The platers already have nuts, bolts, brackets, almost 1000 items ).

For the shocks, not sure. We have already rubbed them down painted them and stuck a Koni emblem. We may still refurbish later.

9. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Big Red...not sure I'll do that, but I would like to get rid of the arial on the roof, which is not an easy job (most early Testarossa's from UK seem to have this).

10. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #13 Chief20123, Oct 22, 2015
    New Diff is in. (bought a Forza diff. and Quill shaft from Rob last year). preload and backlash pretty close to spec, needs more work. Used the same tools as Rob's (Ausie Testarossa Rebuild thread). Dial indicator to measure backlash and Torque meter to measure preload.

We bought peelable shims from Phil (Forza). This really made the job much easier. The "old" bearing cup was ground so we could add or take away shims easily. (bearing cup fits really tight in the Diff cover). we could add shims (or take away) and re-test backlash within half hour or so. Photos of new diff and some peelable shims attached. Shims can be peeled as needed with a hobby knife.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Good job Fred. Out of interest, what's a clutch cost in Oz to recondition? Did you also change the TO bearing?

12. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Clutch relign (outer clutch only. Inner clutch hardly any wear). $320 Aussie $. also Flywheel, Int plate and Pressure plate machining. Need to work out how to work out the shim sizes. There is a write up in the WSM but hard to follow. If anyone has any done this before, would appreciate assistance.

13. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    also changed the T/O bearing and Clutch slave seals.

14. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Do we have a checklist for this?

15. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    what checklist are you after? Clutch & T/O bearing? , The Diff? There are many threads on these. I've never done them before, looked like a daunting task, but with all the help and threads on this forum, (I've read them many times over and over) , decided to have a go...

16. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Glad you like the peelable shims Fred. Makes things easier and much cheaper than the Fshim kit set :D

P

17. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Yes! peelable shims are great, thank you!

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why are the shims where he put the hobby knife in blue?

19. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    So easy to work with Phil. bought a hobby knife set and it was a breeze. Used a little bit of heat which made it easier to slice through the shims. The one in the photo, used a little too much heat which turned it blue!

20. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Received Crown Bolts from UK, but WRONG ones, (same as a couple members on this forum.) Received 1 mm thread pitch, (should have been 1.25mm). Just have to wait for the right ones and send back the incorrect ones.

While waiting for the new bolts to arrive, started working on the clutch. Need to work out how to calculate the shim sizes. There is a write up in the WSM but hard to follow. If anyone has done this before, or if you can follow the WSM would appreciate your thoughts.

21. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Fred,
    Agreed it is a bit convoluted in the WSM, and in hindsight; I look at the pic of yr flywheel and it mirrors mine before a lick up on all the clamping faces. Mine calculated out as being significantly under the D= 3.5mm-3.8mm preload tolerance.

The problem with the formula/calc is that it has more than one unknown missing; being the distance from the outer face of X/inner C measurement`+ D preload. This is the static distance from yr CP clamping face to the freshly skimmed unsprung height of the pressure plate face(Dimension G 'frinstance)

After CPP is ground with the others, get G by measuring down from the stud inner clamp faces to the ground surface which will give you C+D=G
    A= Fig 7 say 18mm 4 xmple
    B= Fig 8 say 50mm 4 xmple
    C= G-D say 23mm 4xmple
    D= 3.5-3.8
    G= Measured post grind say 34mm 4xmple
    X = B-(A+C+D) (measure yr existing spacers as a benchmark) say 5.5mm xmple

X = 50-(18+23+3.5)
    X = 50- 44.5
    X =5.5mm

G+D = (B-A)+X
    G+D = 32+5.5
    G+D = 37.5
    G = 37.5 - D
    G = 34mm

The only given in all of the above values is D, which is the preload amount. My burning of the flywheel was due to little preload on the clutch plates(not through wear as they have plenty on them) but the calcs showed otherwise for the spacer (1 on fig. 6)

If you transpose the measurements of yr B/A/G values, it will make it easier to calc the thickness of yr spacers. My brain hurts now as it has tied me in knots like last time.
    I need a Bex and a lie down!

Hope this helps, or just holler!

Pete, Perth WA

22. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks Pete, I've been away this w/e so haven't had a chance to look at it. I will digest this information in the next few days.....