512 BBi Engine Lid Foam | FerrariChat

512 BBi Engine Lid Foam

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gbutler, Oct 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Since a recent thread addressed the TR engine lid foam, I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the two pieces of foam on the underside of the rear clam shell for the 512 BBi. I am preparing my car for Cavallino and need to know if it is necessary to have this? I would assume it is since the foam pad is listed in the 512 BBi parts manual - I do not have the part # handy now, but do remember it is #19 in the applicable table. Anyway, I have only seen this foam pad on a couple of Boxer's and the correct stuff has little golf ball size dimples in the material. Since this part is NLA, does anyone know where to get appropriate material to replicate these? I seem to remember in an old thread that Mercedes used this material or something similar ---- can't seem to find that thread now. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Why not send a pm to Newman, he should know. Have you changed back to stock exhaust? Frank had some aftermarket items in his car.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am a buyer for the foam, never seen a source of it.

4. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Yes, have the stock exhaust back on. Also took out the MSD as well. Now I am just trying to take care of some small details but most of the small little details are parts that are NLA or questions involving proper finishes, etc. and I have also looked at many of newman's pictures and have even visited Paul at his shop, so I am very familiar with the great work he does. I just feel a little awkward approaching someone when I am not having them do the work. I would love for Newman to work on my car but I would miss out on the tremendous learning curve and knowledge base that I am gaining by doing it myself. I really enjoy all the research and detective work and feel like I would be missing that aspect of it if my car was up at Paul's shop

5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#5 dwhite, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    I have found most people here are willing share information and I put Paul at or near the top. I'm not talking about badgering him with hundreds of questions, and he is very generous with his time, but I believe he enjoys sharing.

Ask an expert for a spec sheet for concours correct Boxer. See if it is listed. I like the search also, but I'm not a concours person so I'm not as concerned with originality.

I'm more concerned with functionality. I love looking at concours cars, just can't live with them. Had a national show winning 65 XKE, changed lots to make it a great driving car.

Hope you find it and get a high score at Cavallino. Good luck.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Dave Bendl here on F-chat had some made a number of years ago. He doesn't post here anymore. I need some as well.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You're correct! I like to share and help where I can. Just because a car doesn't come to my shop doesn't mean I wont help! Im always open to answering questions anytime.

8. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Dave made his own. 99.99 Boxers don't have as it disintegrated early on. I've only seen it on one or two delivery mileage cars.

Geno

9. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    I did make a prototype reproduction foam set for my Boxer since OEM sets have been N/A for years. They are very close to the originals in appearance but not exact yet. I do have a chunk of the original material stored as reference when I get back to this project. I have had to switch focus to my own health over the past couple of years, but that is moving in the right direction.
    Dave

10. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I guess we're all in the same boat.
    My question is: Is that a needed pad? Will it heat up or melt the clam shell covers without it?

11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    You don't need it...

12. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    The clamshell covers are thin aluminum. They won't melt, but the top surfaces will distort with engine heat without the foam inserts.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ive never seen that happen and the carb cars have no foam, same heat radiating up from the engine. What you say has some validity but since most have no foam by now you would think there would be an epidemic of distorted ice cube trays but we dont. I need it for correctness.

14. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    No big deal Paul what they were intended for. I was just giving ag512bbi my opinion after he asked the question what their intention is for. The protection from heat is just my opinion why the Engineers went through the time and expense to design and add them. Would sound absorption be a better reason?

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Yes, my main concern is distortion on the covers. I would like to drive my car and was hesitant that the heat would effect it.
    Thank you.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Drive it, they wont distort.

17. HeloSixx

HeloSixx Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2007
    Amelia Island FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Any one have photos of what the foam inserts looked like when new?

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's normal open cell foam, as used elsewhere thru out the car, for various reasons, only this DOES have a circle dimpling pattern to it.

Like Roppe flooring.

My guess they melted it on, with a hot tool of some sort...
    You have a picture of it. Paul???

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On the TR it is strictly noise reduction.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is no concours spec sheet.
    Ferrari didn't build high numbers of cookie cutter cars so it really isn't possible.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #21 Rifledriver, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    I am not a BBi judge but I am unaware if any BBi's came without the foam. If that is the case (they all had it) then yes you will need it or be marked down for not having it.

On the TR they did not all come with it, even on the cars that Ferrari said did come with it. If you can get a nationally recognized expert in the concours arena to support they did not all come with it you might get away without. If you are not sure, just take the hit in points, it won't be serious. Trying to get away with something the judges know is usually counterproductive.

22. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #22 moysiuan, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found a hood foam pad at Pelican parts that was used on an old 1984 Porche 944, I never used it and cut it to size and renewed some of my Mondial insulation with it (Swiss market model had lots of insulation on it). I like it because it was the German OEM foam which was designed to melt and help smother an engine fire. It was a bit of a browny grey black colour, similar in colour to my Mondial Swiss market insulation (which was not dimpled). I think it still available at Pelican parts. In any event, perhaps Pelican can determine who the supplier of this is, it may well be a German firm who was the OE supplier to Ferrari in the 80's and have other types and patterns and such. There are two types for the 944, maybe there are others on the 911 in there too, I have not searched. Somehow, I think your answer to the foam question will be German.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Radnor

Radnor Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    USA
    #23 Radnor, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a photo of my BBi's (#51969) original foam which is still intact. The car just turned 16,000 miles and earned Platinum at Cavallino Classic a couple of years ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just an interesting note. Look at the bolts that hold the safety lock in place in the clamshell. They point in to the latch. BB and BBi are the same but ferrari installed the latch in the two L brackets before welding it into the structure of the clamshell. On a BB the louvers are farther away from the center so not an issue. BBi not so. Try taking one out! The bolts are too long to fit out before hitting the parallel tubes just beside them! You have to cut the bolts in half then install new ones pointing outward.

25. HeloSixx

HeloSixx Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2007
    Amelia Island FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The 81/82 foam looks very similar. The surface is like a golf ball. I have a piece that I will post photos of as soon as I can.