Another TR diff question | FerrariChat

Another TR diff question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jaisharma, Nov 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    Hello everyone,
    My 88 Testarossa is due a belt service. I have read a lot of stuff about diffs and thought that perhaps the Forza components replacement diff might be the way to go. In old posts they were quoted at about USD 1800. However, now they seem to be closer to $4,000 (£2,400 to be more accurate), and of course there will be labour to fit it.
    I am kind of inclined to spend the money anyway, but I wonder what the chances are of the thing actually grenading - perhaps I am asking the question as it seems to me the increase in price might not make it the automatic service item that it might otherwise be.
    Presently there is no indication of a diff problem but I understand that doesn't mean a lot.
    I suppose an alternative question is whether that is still the most effective solution (I have read that Newman also has a solution, and from what I read he certainly knows what he is doing, but he is in Canada and I am in the UK so there is some shipping time/cost/tax), which I guess might tip the balance.
    Any guidance gratefully received.
    Thanks!

2. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's money well spent to update the diff.When it does go it makes a real mess.. ask me how i know this..lol.When it did go i changed my diff in the car using Newman's.

3. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I just installed one. Get it directly from Forza, I think it was 3200.00 with CV Boots, clamps, grease shims and shipping. Plan on changing the bearings and get the VW diff seals mentioned in another thread.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Do it! Peace of mind has no price. Go with the one that is easier for you. I don't think one or the other is better. I used the Newman because I know him personally and I saw his diff and was closer for me. But you are in UK so use the on in UK but DO IT!

When I did mine there was no cracks or any proof of possible failure but I never regreted the move just to get the peace of mind.

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    And what's the consensus for the cost of labor to switch it out when not doing an engine out service?

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    #6 sherrillt, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    I'm the contrarian- Don't do it. It's definitely a watch item. No hard evidence that every diff carrier fails just like no hard evidence that every car with a weak transmission (i.e. Camero) fails at 50k miles. Failure can possibly happen and it has for a few vocal owners who post regularly and generate attention, but not everyone or even half the production run has had an issue; otherwise there would have been a massive sale of potentially 2k+ upgrades for Ferrari and the aftermarket vendors - no evidence there has been. I would say your A/C has a higher probability of failure.

Overall - it's a measured risk just like driving your car and potentially getting into an accident. Some people aspouse doing it and don't even keep their car 2-4yrs ($5k money well spent?!? - don't think so), invest your $5k as your own insurance policy. You would have already spent at least 50% of the repair cost on a unnecessary preventive measure.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    better to renew the diff before the old diff and the CP fails - then it will get really expensive

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    exactly, when you replace the diff you can make prevision for the cost of it. If it break it's a gambling and it can be way more than you would imagine.

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Sorry but I don't think you're nowhere near with your 50%. If it happen at more than slow city speed the result can be disastrous. Crown and pinion, side cover, transmission case and more. The cost of the diff center section will look very cheap compared to all those parts and labour.

BTW I'm one of those who sold it only 2 years later and still not regret it. It was a very good selling point.

But it's up to every owner to gamble or not.

10. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    37,000+ miles and no cracks. I wonder what % of production run actually experienced failure? And, were the cars that had a failure tracked, did burnouts, drifted or otherwise abused?

Sent via itty bitty electrons

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    How do you know it's not cracked? I had my face 3" from one with the rear cover off the gearbox and it looked fine. Only when I undid the left side support did the carrier open up. Sitting on the bench the end cover fits perfectly and you can't see the crack.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #12 Newman, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    Thank you very much for all the input.
    I can see the force in both sides of this equation - as pointed out, over 7k cars were made and there are certainly reports of failures but not thousands. However I can see that the cost of repair could be really high and changing it now does give peace of mind. As it happens, I also have a spare engine with a (you guessed it) blown transmission. As well as the peace of mind, I guess if I ever do sell it might be the case I get some credit for having done it then.
    So I'll probably hop onto the side of getting the diff changed over winter.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #14 Newman, Nov 21, 2015
  15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #15 Newman, Nov 21, 2015
  16. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks

Perhaps I'll consider doing it during the next major

Sent via itty bitty electrons

17. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    I'll make sure not to touch anything with blue gloves - clearly gives superhuman strength :)

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    lol you shoulda heard me grunting trying to break it open!

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I have an unbroken one if you really want to try it :D

20. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I just open discussion with Testarossa owner from this diff issue, couple of days later he notice, that last owner had allready changed diff one time, but it was done 2009 and I think there was no upgraded parts available in that time, not even 512M diff...

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I had ordered 3 diffs from modena australia, 1 in 2005 or 2006 and 2 in 2007 or 2008, so at that time there have been already stronger diffs available.
    and the one I have in my competition is still working fine without any problems :)

22. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In VERY rough round numbers. Yours will vary depending on who does it and to what detail.

Do it yourself before it fails - Cost:$4000
    Do it yourself after it fails - Cost:$5000-15000

Shop do it before it fails - Cost:$5000-10000
    Shop do it after it fails - Cost:$15000-$30000

How much do you want to spend?

And no matter what anyone says, it's not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN.

23. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Wow, what fear mongering. I know a couple of fcar indies with 30+ and 40+ yrs of experience that don't say that.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    WHY do people NOT read available info ?

I don't care their different opinion (based on WHAT ?) but I have suffered the break of the diff and the ruined Crown and Pinion.

And have payed for all that damage .... so I know what is happening in those gearboxes ...

I hope YOU will not suffer like I did... :)

25. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    This is a great thread...my 92 512TR with 11K has not been upgraded with the diff...I have been told by people I respect here locally in Seattle to get this done but even with several engine outs over the last 13 years have not had it done. I drive the car as it was intended occasionally (however, no track time, no racing...) but I fear the diff problem and would like to be proactive in addressing it. What part do I get so that I can have FoS get this done? I see several options, is one better for the 92 512TR? Any and all help appreciated.