Interesting fire suppression system | FerrariChat

Interesting fire suppression system

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Nov 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #1 JIMBO, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was looking to update the 20+ year old Halon 1.5 lb fire extinguisher that came with the 512TR when purchased, and I happened to run across this BlazeCut system on Amazon.

Basically it is a 6 ft pressurized 3/4" flexible tube filled with a clean Halon-like fire extinguishing gas. The tube is attached above the engine, and, if a fire breaks out, the plastic tube above the flame melts, creating a nozzle that releases the agent directly onto the fire source. Worst case, if the fire re-starts, it will buy you some time to shut things down. The clean extinguishing agent is a liquefied gas, HFC-236ta. The tube has a nifty gauge on the end so you can check for operational status.

Go to Blazecut.com or search Blazecut on Amazon.comto learn more. Fully automatic, no moving parts, no wires. There is also a neat YouTube video.

I just finished installing the system in my 512TR today. I also have a 2.5 lb extinguisher in the cabin between the seats. This was invented by VW Bus enthusiasts - I'll bet they never envisioned it used in a 12 cylinder Ferrari.

I began by removing the engine cover from the rear hood (5 8mm bolts at rear, 3 10mm bolts on each side, disconnect power to 3rd brake light at passenger side strut). I needed to replace the missing/disintegrated nasty foam insulation anyway, and this made it stupid easy. The foam was replaced with a piece of reflective sound deadening/heat resistant adhesive mat. To keep it from eventually falling (from the engine heat), I welded a couple of thin pieces of aluminum together and slid my custom brace under the edge of the panel as seen. The rear-most edges of the brace will be held in place when everything is screwed back together.

I then laid the BlazeCut tube on the engine side of the cover, took measurements and loosely zip-tied it in place.

Here are some pics:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #2 JIMBO, Nov 23, 2015
    Once back in place, you can adjust the final position of the tube for optimum placement, missing the air filter housings and following the fuel lines (most likely source of unintended ignition).

I used the insulated cable clamps (home depot, etc) to take advantage of the 5 8mm screws that attach the rear of the engine cover to the rear bonnet, and I used the supplied black zip ties to hold the tube to the wire mesh under the louvers. You can't see the zip ties unless you look real close, but you can see the tube from directly above.

Nothing on the vehicle is damaged or altered by this installation, which can be removed in a few minutes for the yearly Concours events if desired. If you drive your baby a lot, this is just some added peace of mind.

The tube melts at sustained temps of 120 C (248 F). The agent is rated for fire classes A, B, C and live electrical equipment. Here are more pics:

3. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Neat system and seems very simple to install.

4. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nice!
    Would be even nicer with matte black tubing, invisible.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Jim, I admire your intentions to innovate in the 512TR but ...

We never heared of any 512TR that caught fire, not even in the engine compartiment up till now ...

Sorry ... why bother ? Plus imo it does not make the engine compartment more attractive this way ...

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the material in this tube will never delete/wipe out a fire when for example a fuel hose is broken ( only my opinion )

7. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 msdesignltd, Nov 24, 2015
  8. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    You are probably right, Joe, but it may buy a little time to get the rear bonnet open and use a conventional fire extinguisher.

9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Thanks, Mel. There was a 512TR that was destroyed by an engine fire here in Florida on I-4 in the last few years. The rear bonnet is cumbersome to open normally - I can only imagine the problem if it was hot, so the BlazeCut system may buy some time to use a real fire extinguisher. I also agree it does NOT make the engine compartment more attractive, but I can remove it all in 10 minutes if it bothers me enough.

I consider this more of an engineering exercise than a necessity. This system has never before been installed on a Ferrari. It may be more useful in, say, a carbureted Boxer or other models. I wanted to see if it could be done. The concept is brilliantly simple.

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I suppose the top of the tube could be coated with a rubberized paint to make it invisible from the louvers, since any fire would come from below. I'll have to check with the manufacturer to see if that would react with the tubing in any way.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that is right :) and also better than nothing of course

what about putting 2 of those systems left and right in the engine compartement or directly on the engine? the fire will start there where is fuel, so near the injectors and where the fuel lines are, also near the exhaust where are burnable parts in the near.

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The smallest tube is 6 feet long and can only be bent so far. The tube must be located a few inches above the motor so that the spray of material covers enough area. It cannot rest directly on metal engine parts, so one would have to construct some sort of bracket(s) to hold it in place.

13. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I have a doubt if it actually works when the engine bay is on fire .. I would leave the insurance company to look after my lost .... if it happened

14. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I hope I never find out