Testarossa, how many teeth on the flywheel? | FerrariChat

Testarossa, how many teeth on the flywheel?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by alhbln, Nov 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Does anyone know how many teeth the Testarossa flywheel has?
    The workshop manual has a "Z=146" label next to the flywheel, but given that the flywheel has three TDC teeth, the amount of teeth (RPM pulses) per TDC segment would result in a point number (48.66…) which is kind of unusual for an early mapped ECU setup.

While reverse engineering the MED120B Microplex i found out that the number of teeth between the TDC pulses is hardwired to 48, so that would indicate that the flywheel actually has 3*48 = 144 teeth.

I had a chance to measure the RPM pulses on a Ferrari 412 (equipped with the same MED120B ECU as the Testarossa), and got 144 teeth as expected.

Thanks,
    Adrian

2. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Starter has 11 teeth

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the sprocket on the flywheel has 146 teeth ( just counted here )
    and those teeth are only for the rpm
    for the ignition there are the 3 "negative" teeth with 120° distance because all 120° crankshaft each bank needs 1 spark, so 120° times 6 is 720°, 2 turns

4. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Romano, thanks! If possible could you post a close up photo of one of the TDC negative teeth shown with the flywheel teeth? I want to understand the phase relation between the two.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #5 turbo-joe, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I think it does make a difference, as the Microplex calculates the start of the individual advance timing based on the RPM sensor pulses (internal clock) starting from the TDC pulse crossing zero.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are right adrian
    the RPM sensor gives signal to the ignition box, but only for rpm, nothing more, the 3 negative teeth are for each TDC, but remember, you have a distiributor and so it does not matter if cyl 1, 2, 3...or 6 is firing, important is only the 120° distance on the flywheel for the signal.

I changed more than once the sprocket from the flywheel and never had any problems when I put it on other way than it was before.