Luigi Della Grotta's personal Testarossa up for auction | FerrariChat

Luigi Della Grotta's personal Testarossa up for auction

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by treedee3d, Dec 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Mr. Della Grotta's personal Testarossa wll be coming up for auction at the end of January.

I wonder how much it will fetch and if the fact that he was a personal friend of Enzo Ferrari makes the car more desirable.

Luigi is a legend here and his crazy antics would have made a great reality show.

Link to car:

1991 Ferrari Testarossa | Arizona 2016 | RM Sotheby's

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Interesting, looks super nice!

Anyone have pics of the Daytona seats or period photos of Luigi with the car?

Love reading his stories. Makes me happy he was the original seller of my 355.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Always cringe a little when (what should be) a respected Auctioneer tries to fluff up a car and gets the technical details wrong:

1. No TR was rated at 428 BHP (that was the 512TR), and

2. Being a later year TR, it is KE-Jet injection (note the ECUs mounted over the RR wheel well) not K-Jet injection.

And why gloat about the special seats (which do sound nice compared to the rather plain stock seats), but not include a picture? Geesh...

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    auctioneer = moneymakers = no idea from the technical stuff

:( :( :(

5. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    It's true about the seats...why not take a picture? Especially considering that they are beautiful and in pretty flawless condition.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Had the pleasure to meet and talk with him once when I was in Montreal back in 2000. Rumour had it Enzo didn't want a Canadian outlet, but luigi's relationship with Enzo proved that he could make it work successfully, and he did.

His antics ( which we call them today ) were more of he had pride of ownership as a craftsman and a racing enthusiast, as opposed to buyers that wanted to buy cars for the show off or prestigate factor. He was so against that , he was to a certain degree a humble man from when I met him. His shop seemed more like a home with his flowers :)

He was very proud of his ancestors and the qualities that made Italians stand out in the world for perfection. Qualities that unfortunately seem to be lost in today's day and age. It's too bad we lost such a great artisan ( so to speak ) , what a great supporter of the brand, the perfection of the engineering these cars created. He will be missed.

7. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    -He was given a 2 million dollar bonus check from Montezemolo for 35 years of Ferrari dealership and service...he ripped it up and threw it away. He said he sold the cars proudly, not for money and taking that money would have negated everything he had done.

-He also never ever claimed 1 penny on warranty from Ferrari in 35 years...he always fixed the cars on his dime because he considered them "his" cars and his responsibility. He made sure all his clients left the books and a copy of each key so he could keep tabs on his cars and their maintenance. It was crazy but the clients didn't mind, especially when your car gets fixed for free!

So many stories....someone really should write a book, crazy anecdotes!!!

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel

M O R E . I N F O please Fab

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    This car should be bought by someone from Montreal and kept forever. Isn't there any collector interrested? This is the Testarossa that I consider the nicest I ever seen. Superb color combination impeccable condition and great history. Can't believe they want to auction this car.

10. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Buyer felt it was a shame to let it go to someone outside of the Luigi Club after his death so he bought it (Actually they are 2 owners a uncle-nephew combo who are friends of mine) with the intention of keeping it in the circle.

However, they don't have time to enjoy it or take it out very much and no one locally in interested so it was a good opportunity for them to put it up for auction. Plus the timing is right since they have shot up in value like crazy and the US dollar is at 1.39!!

They should be making over 200k in profit in 4 years. I'm happy for them because it wasn't their initial intent so good karma for them.

And if a Montreal buyer wants it, he can always bid on the auction.

11. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
  12. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
  13. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Luigi claimed that his mods on those seats were copied by Ferrari when they made the 512Tr.

Kinda sad to see this car go...but, wherever the market winds will blow, there the car will go.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I seriously wish I could afford it. I loved this car from the moment I saw it.

15. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    Everyone told me my 1991 TR came from the factory with a black rear cavallino, but this one has a chrome one like mine??

16. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    So do I.

I'm kind of surprised that it did come up for sale... I was under the impression that the car belonged to the club in some way.

As for the lack-of-driving-reason-for-selling story, it's a shame. I don't drive my car that much as I used to, but I wouldn't want to give it up. What could I replace it with? Even though I don't drive it much, at least it's ALWAYS there, ready and waiting...

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Imo, all TR's have a flat black emblem; the later model 512TR had a chrome one ...

18. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It did -- early TR are black "flat"; later TR are black "sculpted". A lot of us have changed the rear one to chrome "sculpted" (and the one on the front grill of Luigi's ex-TR isn't stock either).

19. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    As much as Luigi loved Ferrari, he was also known for "correcting" some of their mistakes as he called it. So a Luigi car would sometimes have mods or alterations even before a buyer took posession and sometimes unbeknownst to them (He would just do them because in his opinion it needed to be done)

I have no knowledge in regards to the horse color but I wouldn't be surprised if he changed them.

This is why a "Luigi" car always sells at a premium...Luigi took better care of his cars and his clients than he did his own family.

20. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #21 Peter, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    bernardo66 likes this.
  21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    :D Nice memories imo Peter !

22. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Wow, that is nice Peter ! What a great memory as a 12 yr old to have now.

If I maybe so bold, but maybe his testarossa going to auction is a sign for you and to match that brochure ;)

23. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I was thinking about that when I was taking those pics.

:)

24. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Peter, that brochure is part of your history, I think it is great as it shows the appreciation for the car and respect for the man. You won't hear yelling from me, I love it!

If it is possible, I can't help but think you need a Luigi Testarossa in your garage someday!