Fuel pump leaks after being in cold garage? | FerrariChat

Fuel pump leaks after being in cold garage?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Jan 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone!

When I got my TR 2 years ago, it was in December. Right after I got it, I noticed my fuel pumps were leaking. So, I replaced them. Then tonight, I'm running the car while it's in its winter slumber and I noticed I now have a fuel leak again, coming from the area of my fuel pumps. I haven't investigated any more than that yet, but just wondering if anyone else had experienced something like this - the garage is not heated and we're constantly under freezing, temp wise. The garage is dry though. But is freezing weather bad for the fuel pumps? Thanks!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Had more trouble with cooling hoses leaking at low temperature in the winter than the fuel system. Lot of rubber hose connections in the TR fuel pump area (and we've had prior reports of the copper washer at the check valve leaking). Not unheard of for the swaged joint holding the fuel pump head onto the motor to leak, but I'd bet the higher probability is a plumbing connection leaking (but please do post what you find so we can add it to the database of experience ;)).

One other thing that comes to mind is that one reason there are a whole bunch of quasi-similar Bosch CIS fuel pumps is that little things like the diameter of the inlet hose fitting can be 15mm diameter (which I think is stock F) or 14mm diameter -- i.e., squeezing a 15mm diameter hose down onto a 14mm hose fitting works OK when the hose rubber is warm and pliable, but can be more iffy when the rubber is cold and rock hard -- just a thought. Better cold sealability is some justification for using a more expensive Silicone type hose IMO.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree with Steve. Those pumps were used on so many makes and models of cars all over the world I would think if there was a trait to leak in the cold we would have known about it long ago.

Get a look and let us know.

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Cool, I'll check it out and will report back, probably this weekend

5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    take a close look at the fuel accumulator, that part between fuel pump and fuel filter.
    It has a hole on the back where fuel comes out when its diafragma is broken inside.

Guido

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yes, if it was a problem with the pumps someone would have experienced it by now. I have had small coolent leaks on my 308 during very cold periods, and corrected by a small turn of a screw on a clamp. I would think it is a connection as opposed to a failure.

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Cool, funny you mention the coolant leak when cold too - I've noticed this myself in the past. Once the engine warms up, it goes away.

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Can you put a baseboard heater in the garage and plug up any leaking cold Air?

Keeping the car warmer during the winter helps.

9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah I might have to do that if these fuel pumps are busted.

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey again everyone,

So, looks like I have a coolant leak as well, dropping down (ironically) to my fuel pump area. Quick question - how much of a pain is it to replace the water pump with the engine in the car? I know they recommend replacing / rebuilding the pump as part of the engine out (and I'm assuming that's cuz it's a ***** to do), but when I had my engine out done in 2013 they said the water pump was fine.

Thanks!

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    i would not recommend a water pump r&r without dropping the engine.

you also want to replace the oil seal behind the wp seal.

some may say it is possible, but not for me.

looks like shops are starting to avoid a 'problematic' wp seal replacement!
    these guys need to learn the term 'hydrotest'.

rgds,
    vincenzo

ps: the wp is not next to the fuel pumps - the fp's are under the fuel tanks.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It can be done but not for someone who has not done it many times before.

It is inconceivable to me to have the motor out and not only reseal the pump but not to update the seal too.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never done it, not once since Ferrari started building them and never seen a good mechanic that did.

If you can't reseal the pump, put away the tools.

14. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yup. It surprised me too, but the dealer was adamant that the water pump didn't need anything.

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #15 vincenzo, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    I can reseal the pump - but not with a bad seal! The two piece seal was sent to me as a supposed 'update'. Not knowing better, I believed the parts dept.

Point being - a cracked ceramic in the seal, or the wrong seal, or 'other' manufacturing defect could have been discovered with a simple hydrotest rather than another 'engine out'.

I could see how a guy that has done MANY of these before can confidently bypass a hydrotest, but for me, I consider it an essential step and urge other diy types to do it as well.

rgds,
    Vincenzo

PS: In my industry (oil & gas), if a contractor bypassed a hydrotest they would be run-off so fast their ears would be ringing!

16. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey again everyone, OK, so today was the first opportunity I had to go further. Took off the plate covering the fuel pumps. Found some gas but no definitive source of it. Wiped down the pumps and area. Jumped each fuel pump at the relay. Ran for a minute or so each - no leaks on shop floor. So I decided to run the engine. Been running for the past 10 minutes, heated up, no leaks on the shop floor! The crazy part of this is that when it was leaking before, it was a pretty constant drip, drip, drip. I have a theory that maybe one of the banjo connectors is the source of the leak. Does anyone know if the copper wires contract enough in cold (like, 20 degrees F) to allow a leak?

Still searching...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

17. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Stop the presses! I see gas on the floor of my garage now! I guess I'm happy about that? :)

18. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hmmm, the banjo connector was surprisingly easy to tighten... Running it again now, so far no leaks

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    an equal sympton I had on an BMW
    the car was standing about 8 month and when I started then first time near the fuel pump it was leaking. after shutting off the engine I inspected and have seen it was leaking directly out of the hose. so I was driving the car on the lift and have been surprised very much: no leaking anymore. but before I have seen where it was leaking. so I replaced the hose and never had any problems.

what happened?
    the hose has been empty during long standing and the rubber got porous. when first time fuel was going by the hose it was leaking. the rubber has then soaked with gasoline and so was the hose tight again. question would have been only how long.

so replace the hoses and all would be fine again

20. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Wow, you have a fuel leak and you fix it by letting the car warm up? I had to edit my original reply on this one to this. Does anyone else see a problem here?

21. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    ? No, the coolant leak goes away when the car warms up, not the gas leak! The gas leak is a recent phenomenon and looks like it's fixed now. I'll test it more today and then move on to the coolant leak.

22. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    FYI, the black ring in the picture was where it was leaking from. Ran it again for a while today too, no leak! Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Do yourself a favour and call Scuderia Rampante order their fuel hose replacement kit for the testarossa and change your fuel hoses, if you have access to the hoses as shown in your picture it's a 30 min job and will put your mind to rest. I had a leak last year and the 29 year old hose was the problem.

24. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    that o ring has seen better days