Liability VS. Restoration cost | FerrariChat

Liability VS. Restoration cost

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Feb 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 msdesignltd, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    Ferrari Testarossa 512 TR | eBay

IMO...We are heading towards a conundrum period with the 512TR..

Just as you can find a 67 Jaguar XKE with need of total restoration for 50 g's
    And Just as a 100 point 67 XKE sells for $350,000.00 +...

The 512 TR is going to enter this same phase..sooner rather than later..

I believe this 75,000 mile 512TR is heading towards a liability in costs that will nullify its value without a restoration..soon to make it of value would be a frame off restoration..
    lets put that cost at $150,000.00 to $200,000...To Restore
    so , a 1993 100 point restored 512 TR currently would sell for $275,000.00
    In order to make this car attractive now..It would have to sell for less than $25,000.00
    That would put about $25,000.00 into sweat equity for the new owner..
    just saying..we are getting close to point like this.

I think Daytonas are on the tail end of this scenario..Most dogs are now restored and as a hole...they can all move forwards in value.

2. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You are comparing 2 cars that are over 20 years apart.

I disagree with you at this point. Thanks for your opinion

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    512 tr to early for a restore.

That car was built much better than the Bb, and the original Testarossa. If treated correct.y, that car should last LONG.

The bb's are just at the restoration stage, I think the 512TR is another 20yrs out.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you took the words out of my mouth - my 94 looks like its a new car.

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    And even 20yrs from now, you gotta be a real pig if that car needs a full restore if you started off with a GOOD car.

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol do you mean pig in the derogatory sense of the word!?
    :)

7. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 msdesignltd, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    At 75,000 miles, it won't sell
    Wayy too much liability
    It 's time !
    Or that car will flounder until it gets one

What do you think its worth now??

8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim

What was your goal or point in publishing this? Trying to elevate your 94? Is it for sale?

Trying to drive down your acquisition price of another 512tr?

Does your 355 need a full resto? (I will buy it for 15k since I will need to put 150k in it)

9. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    i didn't realize girls on the rag posted in this forum
    Better wait a week till your condition clears before you post again!

What I am getting at is the propensity for a 50 thousand dollar repair is very high with a 75000 mile car as this
    So at somepoint that money is better spent on resto
    I would consider this car to do such if i could land it for theright price.
    Not a matter of if but when!

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    id buy that car and drive the **** out of it - such a pretty car

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    'Somepoint' Yes...but we are not there yet. If all checks out mechanically, this is a perfect driver for a guy who doesnt care about the miles and a rock chip. I think it doesnt make sense to you because you are a high end buyer.

12. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    I would buy that car if the price was rationale and drive it as a DD.

13. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Awesome. Now we are getting somewhere. The truth clearly stuck a nerve as it was meant to. Your skill level is cleaning a car, but you can't really do not repair or service anything yourself. In your mind you need super low miles with factory new cleanliness so that you can resell at the very top of the market. I very solid plan, albeit very weasely as you have already been called out for in many sections of Fchat.

So are you trying to buy this car? Are you trying to illicit more help here so that you can buy it at the right price then advertise it in Hemmings as a "very clean high mileage 512tr that will last forever.??"

What I do not like is that you are belittling someone else's car for your own gain. I would much rather see you post something constructive like some of your pics or cleaning tips and not use this forum for your own speculation.

14. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    PS...sell the 355 for 105k?

I figure it will eventually need new headers which are 5k, just for the parts.
    The interior will get sticky so that's probably at least 1k.
    The exhaust bypass valve will probably need fixing at 2k.
    The valve guides will need to be replaced so that's probably 7k.
    This probably led to low compression so the engine probably needs a rebuild at 20k.

Have I gotten to 50k yet? Do you see my point? This is what speculation in its ugliest form looks like. It's not fair to your car. It's not fair for this 512tr.

15. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Actually I wonder how long these cars can go for? I have 68k km on mine and honestly the engine feels like it is brand new. Have you guys seen that Murcielago in EVO magazine in with what 300k miles on it? I think a lot of these cars can last longer than we think and to me the 512Tr feels like a solidly built car. I realize it is not as good as the more modern cars that have much more refined processes and reliability checks but I see no reason to think that 150k miles can be had from a 512TR before some of the engine internals needed work. Maybe I am foolishly optimistic but I do enjoy driving it and hope people on this forum stop bickering and post more videos and photos of their cars. We should be driving these cars and not constantly arguing about their value. I think I will go start mine up and take her out now in fact! :)

16. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I have had my 512TR for 13 years and I have a friend in the NWRFCA who has had his 512TR for many years as well. My 512TR has 11K miles on it, my call and it is how I like to live with my 512TR, my friend has ~90K miles on his 512TR and it is how he likes to live with his 512TR. I had a chance to drive his ~90K 512TR and it drives just like my 11K mile 512TR. Bottom line, it is the care and maintenance that really matters...not the miles (in general, unless tracked incredibly hard...that is a different story but still relates to how someone decides to live with their Ferrari...all good). A very nice yellow very low mileage 512TR hammered at $325 at the Scottsdale Barrett...it is all supply and demand...the 512TR demand is growing because the make and model is much more transparent and exposed...and it is a GREAT iconic example of an amazing company. No I am not selling my 512TR so I am not hyping the model...just talking what I believe to be common sense. Also, lets keep it friendly here...there is enough stress in this world and I come here to be with friends.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I give uber credit to anyone who has driven a 512tr that many miles - in the summer the lack of power steering in that car sure does cause a good sweat!

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Jim G drove his 125K, snow, rain, sleet, ext. Said the chassis had rust holes and he bid good bye.

19. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #19 msdesignltd, Feb 10, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Interesting... Is there any value at all left in a 100,000 plus mile TR
    Imagine the anxiety during a hard launch at 125000 miles.
    Like a broken valve in the combustion chamber

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

He did not care. As a person who buys a Honda or Mercedes to drive daily. It was his car.

21. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yesterday I saw that Ebay car in person at BlackHorse. No dash shinkage but blue denim stained seats, dry crispy carpets and sticky HVAC switches. After glancing it over for a sec it looked like the perfect 'driver' that's priced right at $159K and would be well bought at $135K.
    Restore it for a profit? Not on your life.

22. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Damn Straight!