Advice for TR trunk lid liner | FerrariChat

Advice for TR trunk lid liner

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TR91, Feb 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    #1 TR91, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone know the best fix for a '91 TR's vinyl trunk lid liner? Two of the sections have peeled off. It doesn't seem that a simple gluing would do the job, because there's fine dust falling off the inside surface of the vinyl, and the surface of the lid as well (see photo)

While I'm here, middle lever of passenger seat adjustment has broken off. I'm assuming I'll need to buy the entire unit with all three levers.

Lastly, what to do about the turn signal lever that won't stay in position when signaling left (right turn signal is fine).

All replies appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Tear off the vinyl, clean off all foam rubber from both surfaces, cut and glue in new foam, reglue vinyl.

Remove column switch assy and send out for repair. It should go to ODD Parts in California. He has been doing it a very long time and all the best restoration shops use him.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #3 vincenzo, Feb 10, 2016
    check the sticky cross reference thread for more....

please update the thread with your details and results.

rgds,
    vincenzo

PS: with the $ you save, Subscribe and 'stick' around!

4. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Here's the foam you need:
    Foam Factory www.foambymail,com
    1/8" Charcoal Regular Foam - 54" x Lineal Foot @ $0.99/ ft
    Code: CF0-125LF

It is perfect but just not the right color. Should be orange but good luck finding that.

5. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thanks for all your help! Good advice and much appreciated.

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You may want to remove the plastic "angulars" (brackets) that are riveted to the bracing--then glue everything securely and reinstall the angulars to anchor the insulation. You may have luck sliding the insulation under the angulars with a dull putty knife or similar...but I didn't.

7. RedFlyer512TR

RedFlyer512TR Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Vincenzo,

Thanks VERY much for this information!! My indicator stalk was broken by me a couple years ago when my hand slipped off the steering wheel when getting out of the car. The stalk made a sick little snapping noise and I KNEW I had broken something expensive if I could find it.

I took your info JUST now and found the turn signal assembly on eBay and bought it RIGHT away!!

There is a wide range on the prices, but here is another auction link for any one else who needs one:

Lancia Delta Integrale Evoluzione Stuur Schakelaars Column Switch | eBay

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi guys,

Lots of those tips (stalk broken etc) can be found here !

9. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #9 jgmblair, Feb 19, 2016
    Just finished this task, you will need;

1. new foam backing which can be supplied by any auto upholstery shop I used 3/16 headliner material $10, 1/8 foam will work as well anything thicker would be tough to tuck under the bracing.
    2. adhesive - I used 3M 77
    3. scraper
    4. 3M adhesive remover
    5. masking tape
    6. auto trim kit - princess auto here in canada or hf in the US less than $10 much better than a putty knife

Start by removing the black vinyl and using a soft bristled brush clean the back off and vacuum clean then vacuum as much of the old dried up foam off the hood. As Tim mentioned previously, using a 1/8 drill bit drill out the rivets holding the plastic trim brackets and remove these pieces. Liberally spray on the 3M adhesive remover wait a minute or so and then try to scrape off a bit at a time, I needed to repeat this process about 3x to remove the majority of the old adhesive. You can now glue your vinyl to the foam and prep these for install. I found the install pretty simple by placing the prepped piece in place and tucking it in prior to gluing anything, once your satisfied with its placement gently peel one side back a bit while holding in place to expose the backing and spray some adhesive on the hood or the foam. Use your hand to smooth things out and ensure a good bond then complete the gluing, I didn't think it was necessary to try an glue the edges that would be tucked under the bracing. Pop rivet your braces back into place, clean up a bit and you're done.

10. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I bought the Lancia switch asy. The wire harness is a bit different, but I was able to mix and match parts and rebuild my old switch.

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Any chance for pictures?

Life Is Good!
    vincenzo

12. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    TR91 here's what you need for your seat--may not be the correct cable but the lever is the same and can be used in any of the three positions. These don't come up on eBay often...

Ferrari Testarossa Adjuster for Car Seat | eBay