Auction Analysis | FerrariChat

Auction Analysis

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stevenschuh, Feb 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
    A friend of mine sent his analysis of recent auction action to me. Thought you might be interested:

Recent Auction Prices at RM

Lot 151, red/tan, <24,500 km - sold for $363,000 - This was a very nice and original 2- condition car. The wheels did have some scuffs and the seats showed some wear consistent with its mileage. Auctions venues don't always award originality and so although a 1- condition car in preservatn class, the 2- overall condition may have hampered price a bit. A fair result for buyer and seller overall.

Lot 262, red/tan 84 BBI 17,400 mi, sold for $275,000. Car had extensive service done prior to auction, which is a positive. Overall condition was a 3+. As mentioned previously, incorrect red lower panels in lieu of boxer trim, red rear spoiler, incorrect shields, detracted from the car. This was a no sale at auction and a post sale deal was made at $275,000. Very well bought overall. It won't take much to bring this car to a proper condition.

Lot 226, blk/blk, 84 BBI 2,000 km - est. $400,000 to $475,000 High bid was at $340,000, which would have resulted in a sale of $374,000. The car was a 2+ condition overall and showed very nicely. I did not check the file for documentation, but the listing did mention a recent service. This car was recently at Autosport Designs and was listed as sold, so not sure if this was being resold or was brought by Autosports, who figured they could achieve more bringing it back to their dealership without fees. I expected this car to sell at $374K all in.

At Gooding:

Lot 57 blk/ tan 80 BB 34,000 miles?- sold for $346,500. Overall a 3 condition car. Did not check file for history but listing says major in 2013. I didn't inspect this car as closely as the others.

Lot 139 red/tan3 75 365 BB 4,000 KM - sold for $495,000. Overal a 2- condition car. Older repaint showed very nicely. Mechanicals were thoroughly gone through. Well documented history. Original interior, which was fairly tired - could go either way on keeping for originality or replacing due to condition. There were odds and ends on the car that would need to be redone to get to a top condition, but this was a very nice and honest 365 BB overall. Well bought at the end of the day.

Lot 121 84 BBI grigio / burgundy - 28,000 miles Sold for $440,000. Many would consider this a 1 condition car, though I thought the metallic paint was not as well done as I would would have liked to see. A special and rare color combination with AJ Foyt provenance. I think the car sold correctly, save for my concerns with the mottling in the paintwork.

At Bonhams:

Lot 26 red / black 78 BB. Sold for $253,000 at no reserve. This car has been presented to the market several times over the last 18 months including a recent RM auction, Gullwing Motors, etc. The interior was modified to a Zender package. Those looking for a Boxer in the last year have likely encountered this car before. Not much more to say...

2. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Hahahahaha!!!

Come on, Chris. Don't you know that the bubble popped on giving credit where credit is due?