Gear shift lever jumps to neutral when easing off gas pedal in 2nd gear | FerrariChat

Gear shift lever jumps to neutral when easing off gas pedal in 2nd gear

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Patrick365, Feb 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patrick365

Patrick365 Rookie

Jun 17, 2009
    Manila, PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    Patrick Elam Torres
    #1 Patrick365, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Hi All!
    Tried the search button with no luck. So here goes. I have several questions for a carburated 365 BB.

1) When driving in second gear, and you decide to ease of the accelerator, the gear shift lever jumps to neutral. Any ideas what causes this? 2) What parts might have to be replaced?
    3) Would it do any harm to the transmission if the driver held the shift lever in 2nd gear when easing off the gas pedal?

4) In replacing transmission parts, does the engine need to be brought down?

Hoping for your help guys (or gals?). Thank You,
    patrick

2. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    I am sure it is a different gear box but that happened to me in my 89 mondial. The result was worn out synchros. In my case some how some way one broke fee and damged the gears requiring me to replace the gear box.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #3 Melvok, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Patrick, this is not good news .... and of course it is stupid to ride that way ... :)

Good message imo is: GB can stay under the car but needs revision ... bad part: it's gonna cost a lot of money.

I strongly advise you to exchange the diff at the same time to safe even more $$$$.

Of course you have read all about that in this thread about the gearbox :) ! All TR/512TR/M gb's are crap ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Just to clarify, a cracked diff wont be gear specific so ignore the posts that pertain to that.

The synco (2 styles depending on gearbox number) and the detent mechanism together keep a gear engaged. Could it be an adjustment in the box? Yes on the 2nd /3rd selector shaft theres a fork that can be moved. Maybe its moved so you're not fully engaging the syncro and detent ball in the slot anymore. I would consider finding the cause rather than holding the shifter.

Similar to an engine out service with some added steps.

5. Patrick365

Patrick365 Rookie

Jun 17, 2009
    Manila, PHILIPPINES
    Full Name:
    Patrick Elam Torres
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all the replies! And of course i read the thread about the gearbox...right... :) I will have to read all your replies carefully as i am not all that mechanically inclined.

Newman - Hopefully its just the adjustment. And yes of course we need to find the
    cause of the problem. Holding the shifter was just a temporary measure :)

Thanks again everyone!
    patrick

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    One other fairly easy "external" check to make (before resorting to a gearbox-ectomy) would be to make sure that the motor mounts are in proper fettle and all there (maybe the powerplant is moving around a bit more than it should --probably a lesser probability, but one can hope ;)).