awakening the horses. | FerrariChat

awakening the horses.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by boxerman, Apr 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #1 boxerman, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    That winter can feel sooooooo long

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yep, but its like unwrapping a birthday gift in spring each year.

4. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Oh baby! IS that a carb car? Can't see it in the pic. Either way.... Let them horses out!

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Brings a big smile on my face when the 12 cylinders start up. I like the sound of the starter winding over. No other car I have sounds like that!!

6. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    Congrats ... I missed mine through the long winter and I just had mine out today ... Drove them on the hwy to stretch their legs ... felt so good .

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Not carbed, the lowly BBI.
    Like all the old flat 12s you get a little oil leaking past the valve stems when they sit, so a touch of smoke on startup.

I have had this car 23 years now, its been stored anywhere from a short winter of 5 months to a longer 13 month hibernation, its never failed to start after breifly turning over. Preventative and predictive maintanance along with proper storage procedure udoubtably helps. These are really stoutly built cars and can last indefinatly if you know how to look after them and are prepared to make the effort. Moderns require far less, but for alltheir virtues dont last, or return the same driving pleasure.

8. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I am right there with you, David. That higher pitched whirring followed by the rumble when it lights off... Nothing like it.

I love the silver/red combo. Beautiful!

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Mclaren on the F1 worked on the starter sound to get that spin noise, they also programed the electronics to let the motor do a few revolutions before firing, all to give effect of lighting off the machine. I always thought firing up a turbine would be a pretty awesome pre-deparature note.

New cars you dont have to hold the key or button down till it fires, one quick engagement and the electronics spin the motor as necessary to take care of the rest. My kids have no idea of holding a key just till the exact moment when a car fires.

A boxer also has this unique thing, after the first spin of the starter you hear the first piston fire, and then the others catching on, almost like a radial just much quicker.

When ferrari shopping 23 years ago was looking for a 328 which was 75k, my budget. The sliver grey boxer just looked so great in the showroom, and it drove so much better that I stretched to another 10K for the car and then the unplanned obligatory 10k motor out service.

Apart from the asthetic color debate, I also never understood hey look at me red or yellow, because every cop can see you miles off, and it just engenders envy of others. I like to drive as Enzo intended while hopefully slipping below the literal and figurative radar, plus grigio just works on BBs.

10. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Agreed. My TR is white. (Hold the Miami Vice comments) The design is outlandish enough that I didn't want to really scream look at me with a red one.

23 years of ownership! Good for you - a lifer with the Boxer. In another 13 years I hope to be able to say the same with the TR.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Could you please share your pre storage prep? I change the oil, dump some stabil and Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank and then drive it and get everything up to full temp and then park it.

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Regardless of color. Sometimes you can't find the color you desire. But these cars are incredible.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    today 5 am - sun starts shining - no clouds to see

so after about 6 month resting in a dark garage I switched on the battery main switch on my BB carb, sit in the car, disabled the alarm, switched on the ignition and hearing the two fuel pumps and the ignition, waiting about 30 seconds, pushed the gaspedal 5 times and started. but only hearing the cranking, no firing. after 20 seconds stopped cranking but let the ignition on. after about 1 minute I pushed again the gaspedal 5 times and started and - WOW- hearing firing. so playing a little with the gaspedal, switched on the choke and after about 40 seconds the engine runs fine. so out on the street, switching off the choke and enjoying a 30 km drive around here.

so after this time no problem with starting and driving - with a new car I´m sure you can not do this.

I also wanted to take out my fiat spider turbo, but it was only starting and then died again. so electronic fuel injection. may be the nuzzles dirty or not even open again??

I love my BB, until now never had problems during driving :) :) :)

14. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    looks like a fantastic car

enjoy

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Clean the car fully, I then change the oil and filters mix in stabil 360 and drive till its all nice and warm then shut off. I dont recomend marvel. Alternatively after last drive drain all the oil, filll new filters with oil and attach, leave note in car on seat sayign no oil, in spring add the oil.
    Also a good idea to pump the tires to 50 psi to avoid flatspots, I also roll the car a foot or two this way or that way every 4-6 weeks for same reason. Disconnect battery.

In the old days when I stored for over 12-17 months I did all the above and put the car in a polybag full of desicant.

Car has always started no problem.

I also suggest replacing brake and tranny fluid every two or so years.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thats my wild sister in law. My wife wont drive with me, and if she did you would hear screaming slow down while hitting me, but she has many other great attributes.

Its like having two cars, the blond party one you dont have to be married to and can send home after too many drinks( 67 vette), and the stable hot redheaded librarian one who keeps it all together with a wild streak once the lights are out (BBI).

A great setup when it works, but quite a volatile mixture too.

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Why do that?

The old, used and polluted oil still remains in everything other than the sump/tank.

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yep, and the old oil coats the bearings etc, but at 500-100 miles per year the old oil is not really bad at all, but draining it gets rid of the acumulated moisture(maybe not so much in a dry sunmp?). Sometimes the timing intervenes, and winter hits, then I prefer to just drain it and not run a cold engine I cant get up to temparature with fresh new oil, so draining gets me ahead of the curve because the new (oil filled) filters are on and all I have to do is add oil to the tank come spring.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    So theres no point in changing the oil! What was I thinking all these years lol!!

Out of 14L capacity im sure the 500cc we miss isn't really an issue.

22. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yep, my wife is the same. That looks like a few roads I would drive in Weschester, unfortunately it was in a Honda Accord, when I worked there. Very nice.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    NW CT.
    Westchester too crowded, too many potholes and driveways. Although RT 22 by kenseco dam is an epic road pretty much anywhere in the world, its now sadly filled with bicycles. Another great great road is the Merrit parkway, from rye through to Stamford at 7am on a sunday.

Still I would love to have the boxer for a day on rout 224 outside florence, or run it up through the grimsell pass in switzerland. Either would be a whole day of driving.