Engine Bay Lid Lights - Lens | FerrariChat

Engine Bay Lid Lights - Lens

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by wintech, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    #1 wintech, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Folks,
    The 2 small lights under the rear lid, either side of the 3rd brake light; lenses made of glass.
    No mention of it on the parts list- coachwork section.

Were these standard fitment on all TR's or just the US version? One of mine needs replacing.
    Any ideas?

Cheers
    Pete K
    Perth WA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    When you do, replace both, so that they look the same afterwards.

3. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Good Counsel Simon,
    the challenge though, is not being able to put a part # to them to locate both...to buy!

4. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    they are glass, so do not overtight them and can be cleaned with ease.
    Not cheap, as Testarossa was last car to use them and found also in many 250's

chearch Ebay "2398080300"

asking is around 200$ /each

5. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The same lamps were used on Testarossa, 512TR and F512M, and to my knowledge all markets. You probably know but the F P/N for the lamp assembly is 61647300. I would suggest contacting the usual breakers such as Eurospares, TRutlands, and FerrParts, and of course keep an eye on eBay, there are a few members that have quite a few obscure TR parts on auction at any given time.

Worse case you could have one 3D printed--wouldn't be perfect but better than nothing--you should change bulb to an LED if you go that route or you might melt the plastic....

6. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    #6 wintech, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tim, no I didn't know that re the part#; hence the confusion. Not sure on the 3D printing with the heat or or the longevity of the material considering the melt temp for the printer head.
    LED favors well with me and I have explored that with the rear Lic/Pl illumination as mine had serious corrosion and earthing issues for the bulbs. Retro fitted LED behind the original bezel and got a good result 2nd time around. The first attempt was a 18 mini SMD unit and waaaaay too bright for the application.

Before I posted the query on the lens glass, I had taken a casting mold off the good one as a precaution and got a relatively good result from it with std fi-glass resin. The degassing of the air bubbles from the mix was not the best and I need to try it with clear casting resin. I have made a degassing chamber to see if I can get a better result.

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nice work, you're on the right track until you find a replacement lens--I'll keep my eyes open, I go to FerrParts now and then and look through their bins and cars--they have a few Testarossa rear hoods standing on one of the shelves, maybe they have one.

8. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    OUCH!!!

9. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz