Cat controller ECU euro F512M | FerrariChat

Cat controller ECU euro F512M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Themaven, Apr 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    As posted in another thread, one of the cat controller ECUs in my 1995 Euro LHD F512M has given up. Ferrari GB don't have any spares. Can anyone help direct me? I understand that the Euro units are different to the US ones for the F512M, and also different to 512 TRs.

The car is with a good Ferrari shop in London currently who are looking for one. I guess they'll find one, but maybe I can beat them to it..

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Most of the part numbers for most of the entire series of TR/512 including yours have not been available for some time. I have been converting them to use the 355 part.
    I was using 348 units and that was easier but last I tried those were no longer available either.

3. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am just going to use reason and guess at this one. (disclaimer)

The cat ECU can probably used from any similar era Ferrari (348, 355)

They all probably have 4 wires. One that goes to the thermocouple, one that goes to the ECU (the two behind your seats), one that gives power to the CAT ECU, and a ground wire.
    There will be nothing fancy about yours in the 512M. My guess is that the type of connector and the length of the thermocouple wire will be all that is different.

I'm confident that your shop would be able to adapt one very easily to fit.

If originality to the nth degree is important to you, then please keep your dysfunctional unit.

I'm 100% sure that an electronic shop can open that CAT ECU, diagnose the failure, and repair it for peanuts.

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks everyone, and Mel, thank you for that info, I will call Eurospares tomorrow. Tim, I'll also tell my Ferrari shop what you said about repair, and point out Brian's solution. Hopefully they'll have got there themselves also.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Eurospares not in stock (Brian was right about availability). Looking for one elsewhere & also pursuing the repair option/converting 355's unit (also 456 had similar unit I understand).