Been away for 12 years | FerrariChat

Been away for 12 years

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stalwart, May 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    #1 stalwart, May 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I haven't been on here for a LONG time, life happened. My lovely 89 TR has been sitting on a storage lift the entire time, plus a decade. Since I haven't driven it since 1993, it's probably time to have it properly and professionally resuscitated and put up for sale. It's at a local shop for a checkout and I came across some stuff I forgot I had. I found NEW Tubi exhaust system with 2 catalyst "test pipes". All completely new, never been on a car, just sitting under the stairs. Anybody have any Idea what this might be worth now? I know I paid many thousands but I don't really remember.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Stuart Robinson
    Redmond, WA USA
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    23 years on a lift??? Whoa! Were the wheels supported or did they dangle?

3. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Interested in the exhaust. Let me know what you think pricewise. I am in Maryland.
    Thanks
    Mark

4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm in Maryland too, I'll trade you an Abrams M1A tank for your TR 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    It was on a storage lift on its tires, all OEM tires still held 20+ psi after all that time. After over 50 people had read the comment and no one replied I put the exhaust on eBay with a stab in the dark price. Deal on the tank, as long as it runs and drives, my Scorpion tank is fast but doesn't weigh 70 ton and have a 1500 hp gas turbine.

6. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    It's only been two days. 20+ years on the lift and now you got ants in your pants.

R

7. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Kinda, I'm moving and have a 40' x 90' garage with storage above full of military vehicles and parts. Need a straight 6 or straight 8 Rolls Royce B Series engine, fully rebuilt by REME Engineers? Covered! My TR isn't going up for sale until the end of the month, it's sitting at the local RR, Bentley, Lamborghini dealership getting a bit of attention. Ferrari of Seattle isn't getting any more of my money, but thats another story.

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Agreed.

FYI... I have heard good things about the Alfa independent in Tacoma, but have no direct knowledge.

After coming to know the intricacies of this car, I'd only use a known, quality independent. Ben at Salerno Motorsports (Rocklin, CA) is somebody I highly respect. With the value of these cars and the cost of a service, shipping it to Rifledriver is also worth considering.

Your Lambo techs may be good - but without first hand knowledge of the TR they may become a troublesome issue for you.

Take care,
    Vincenzo

9. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Welcome back!

10. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thank you for your sage advise Vincenzo! I got the car 2 years old in 1991 with 2,000 miles. All the paperwork from the dealer told the prior owner to drive the car more, he kept getting oil fouled plugs. I drove it almost every day for 2 years and it stopped burning any oil by the time it had 3,000 miles. I drove it to about 11,000 miles with no issues. Had the oil changed, brake fluid replaced, coolant changed and then stored it on the storage lift. It isn't in need of a heavy yet, mainly just attend to the old fuel issues. The tech also did the maintenance on the owner's TR and is doing a fuel system cleaning and ignition system upgrade to a white/black Countach. Seeing both cars in the same colors was pretty special, everybody loved the old dirty Miami Vice car. The owner of the dealership has a fleet of collector cars, the poor tech has to work on everything! Since the Countach's ignition module is no longer available, it is getting a top of the line module from MSD retrofitted.

Seeing your work in pictures, I'd rather send it to you for a heavy!

Stuart

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Hopefully that includes belts.

12. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Oops I was wrong, I was thinking of another car, it only has 8081 miles. New owner can change the belts unless they are needed now.

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    So the TR only has 8081 miles?! Schweeet!

ANY Ferrari in which the cams are belt driven that has sat dormant for even a few years should have the belts replaced before the starter is engaged even once.

14. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Yup, spoke too soon, I guess they are planning to change the belts. The tech flew over to England Saturday to attend Bentley School. He's taking all the TR service manuals on his iPad for some light reading on the 9 hour flights.

15. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #15 ozziindaus, May 8, 2016
    If not the belts, then the tensioner bearings. This was at ~8750 miles but left sitting for 10 years.

16. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I ended up with a full heavy, all belts & hoses, tensioner bearings, fuel pumps, plugs, caliper rebuilds, brake pads and every fluid including freon for the A/C. Followed by a several day detail and it looks and drives new now. Except for the tires, another thread for that.

17. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Stuart, are you planning to keep or still sell? Feel free to PM me, Im just a bit North in Vancouver and would love to chat :)

18. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Drove it home today, first time driving it in 23 years, sure brings back memories. Funny I don't seem to fit in it as easily as before. Car looks new, pictures when I move it up to its garage where we are moving to. I'd hate to offend the sensibilities of those with neat and clean garages.

19. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

oh please, offend us, offend us. :D

D

20. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    #20 stalwart, Mar 16, 2017
  21. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Looks good... She up for sale?

R

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have watched a tech struggle with the Countach ignition equipment..no fun.

You know Rifledriver is here in Texas now. Austin or more specifically Westlake, I think.

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    If those are the OEM Goodyears go WAY easy on them...I have been after Goodyear Vintage to pick up the sizes you need....

No love, yet.

Looks great!

With new tires, I would fly in and take it back to Austin for ya!
    :D :D

24. stalwart

stalwart Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    It is now safely riding on BF Goodrich Comp 2 tires, the OEM tires are bagged and can go with the car or I'll dispose of them. It was surprising how good they looked being 28 years old. The tech spent about 3 months on the car making sure everything was working and replaced a TON of parts and all fluids, belts etc. He essentially rebuilt the entire fuel system from the tank through the injector nozzles. Very thorough and meticulous guy, he does Lamborghini heavy work daily with a smattering of Bentley when they need the extra help. We were able to get a small rebuild shop to do the right window motor, worked perfect.

Runs as good or better than when I bought it in 1991, probably better. Only issue so far is the low fuel light stays on, he wasn't able to get the sender to play nice in that regard. The fuel gage was verified as accurate after he cleaned it and the fuel tank.

Keep, sell, keep, sell . . . doesn't fit my lifestyle any more. Moving to a rural area where horses and cows outnumber the people. I'm going to sell it but I'm not sure of the timing, I dropped over $30k in the shop but at least it didn't go to F of Seattle, they estimated $50k for the same work. Seeing the Miami Vice car go for a song doesn't give me much confidence in the market for the TR.

25. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    haven't driven in 24 years and it's an 89?

how many miles on this TR?