RM/Sotheby's Monaco Auction and the state of the Boxer/TR market. | FerrariChat

RM/Sotheby's Monaco Auction and the state of the Boxer/TR market.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Flat12Fanatic, May 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flat12Fanatic

Flat12Fanatic Rookie

May 20, 2016
    One week has passed since the auctions in Monaco, and specifically RM/Sotheby's big sale. I wanted to share some thoughts and also see what other Fchatters think about the state of the current market.

With a sell through rate of ~60% the sale was well below recent averages. In the modern flat 12 area, there were 5 no sales (1974 365 GT4BB/1995 F512M/1981 512 BB/1982 512 BBi/1993 512TR and a sixth if you include the 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder).

Having watched the auction live online, I was struck by how quickly and rushed many of the lots seemed to be as they crossed the block. Even the star lot, the Euro 20,000,000 1968 275 GTS/4 Nart Spider took less than 2 minutes and was mistakenly called in US Dollars instead of Euros!

RM/Sotheby's is obviously a very professional operation, and they always seem to do an excellent job, however, I wonder if the poor results may have been solely down to the fact that Max Girardo was not on the podium, rather than anything specific to the cars themselves, or the market in general. There were a few lots that made very nice numbers, so it was certainly not all bad.

I am just trying to get a general sense of the current market. Any and all thoughts and comments are welcome and appreciated.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The car market, and more specificaly the Italian car market is softer than 6 mos ago. Yet asks are still in fantasy land, and some not pristine cars, so lots of no sales.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    But the auction house is a factor, B-J being an example of where not to sell an exotic car. The wrong auctioneer at a good auction house isn't much better.

4. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    [QUOTE The wrong auctioneer at a good auction house isn't much better.[/QUOTE]

Will be interesting to see who/when & how many Blue Chip lots Max will bring along with his new venture. Would LOVE to see THAT non-compete clause! IMO, the presenter (man with gavel) plays a very important role in setting the cadence, tone, tempo and ultimately interest as to what is crossing on stage. Too many "rushing out the door" and it becomes a passing parade of little notice.

Jack

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    where is max going?

6. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT

I too noticed that some lots were rushed but have a different interpretation. I think it's a case of chandelier bidding with no real customer interest. A lot where this seemed very obvious was the Rallye Monte Carlo winning Peogeot 205 T16. The bidding went very quickly with big 50k euro increments but there was a strange lack of energy - the bids seem to come at even intervals out of no particular place in the room; there seemed to be no drama, no easily discernible competing bidders. After progressing at big 50k increments the bidding came to a screeching halt at 500k and the auctioneer quickly passed the lot. It just doesn't happen this way when you have real bidders - bids come at uneven intervals, when things slow down the auctioneer always tries smaller increments to get things going again, etc. I think what was happening was that the auction house used its right to bid up the lot to the reserve hoping to pick up a real bid a long the way and when one didn't materialize it quickly passed the lot. Max's presence would have made some difference only to the extent that he would have done all of this in a less obvious a way.

7. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I was under the impression he was going to sell cars in a broker/sales agent fashion, something like what Simon Kidston does (?), not as an auctioneer...

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I am sure some auction house could have done better. But to deny that the market is off is to deny gravity. the only question now is how off is the market and for how long.

Or we might charitably say that prices couldnt have risen forever, so the market is taking a breather and therefore flat to a slight dip.

When in 2014 an almost completly rusted away 246 sold for 350k or somethign, a car with nothing to salvage you know sanity was not in the room. Now some sanity appears to be guiding prices. The prices are neither collapsing or expolding furtehr upwards, all sings of a good and healthymarket. Far beetr than more exubernat hype driven price boosts followed by collapse..

9. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

That too is my understanding...private broker/agent...that knows where the Blue Chips reside and much like Kidston may get the best, most desirable pieces via private treaty...thus leaving the 'scraps" to the houses. Auction houses do one thing very well...exposure..(and make $ for themselves!), well, the internet has taken care of that (exposure) & when there are MANY UBER privates around (DK/Foskers/Kidston/Hartley/Cottingham etc etc) the owners of truly great cars simply do not need the 'big houses' as much. Many have commented upon the poor quality of recent auction cars and with SO MANY auctions per year far outpacing the availability of "good" cars.....going private makes logical sense (and cents!).

IMO, too many car tv shows, auctions (saturation) etc draw parallels with the demise of real estate mania....

Jack

10. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I will not be offended if you add my name to the esteemed list of individuals you have listed, indeed I humbly suggest you do, as Joe Sackey Classics LLC practices a strictly Private Treaty business and touches only the very best examples extant of the makes & models we all love Cars | Joe Sackey Classics

Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration.

11. jona31

jona31 Rookie

Nov 10, 2007
  12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok, good for him.
    i know kidston pretty well, and i bought my f40 through him too.
    i think you are right....speaking for myself, if i was doing anything in europe i would use simon - incredibly trustworthy and knowledgeable. max was his protege so probably on the right path.

and from what i can tell, if i was going to do anything in the usa, i would call joe. ;)

13. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

I am remiss...yet as way of explanation...above named based Euro and as Max HQ'ed London, listed those of "Continental Persuasion". I realize your reach too is World Wide as is your Stellar Reputation.

As a matter of fact, we (you and me) have spoken and you were kind enough to forward your latest Manuscript; The Book of the Ferrari 288 GTO.
    This might not be the place, but your Down Draft work (writings/compilations/restoration) has been thrilling!

Jack

14. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you :)