Testarossa dreaded differential issues and questions | FerrariChat

Testarossa dreaded differential issues and questions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PineChris, May 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Are they really that common? Are later models less prone to issues? Car would be occasionally used for some light driving. No clutch drops, racing etc. Looking at low to mid mileage cars ( 12-35k miles) Do you just roll the dice? Does doing the fuse box upgrade void Classiche certification? I owned a TR many years ago, and didnt experience any issues with the diff. Thank you

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The diffs have been covered here to the point of being a running joke. Have you looked up the other threads about it? In short there are three trains of thought - do it now now now, do it at next belt svc, or don't worry about it. Pick your camp and you'll be right.

3. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    True

4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    i don't think the fusebox upgrade voids classiche.

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Chris...I've owned 3 TR's and in the mileage range you mention, and even a few more miles, and never had any issues. I believe it is a roll of the dice, as you can't possibly know if a TR has ever experienced a clutch drop or other "poor driving habits" at some point in the past. If a thorough inspection of the car doesn't reveal any issues then an upgrade may be something to plan on in the future for peace of mind, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    One of the big reasons I ask, is that in my research for a TR, none of the cars Ive enquired about regardless of mileage have had any issues with the diff. Some Ive spoken to have over 80k on the clock.

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hilarious!

My advice? Ask those that know and avoid opinions. Newman is in the know.

8. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Funny

Never ask the person who sells the diffs, ask the majority of owners not the few

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    He doesn't just sell em Buckwheat. he makes them and installs them. Trust me, I've been through this myself enough to know.

You go ahead and play Ostrich. You'll pluck your head out of the dirt when it happens to you.

10. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    This.

11. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not trying to ruffle feathers. Spoke with another owner today who has owned his TR since 1990, again with no issue and insisted he does not baby it. Trying to gauge anticipated costs vs say a 328 GTS.

12. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Keep your money, drive and enjoy the car

13. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    Hey spanky

Enjoy your new diff

14. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    I forgot the :)

Love all around

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I own one too and I haven't had any problems with mine either.
    ...and there's the rub. You don't have a problem until you DO, and it's not cheap to fix.

16. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Im on my second TR, no diff problems but I did have the Fuse Box upgraded within the first quarter of ownership. My current car had two previous owners, both are well known car guys and uber responsible types. Its a roll of the dice, more miles and abuse the higher the chance of diff failure. Im in the camp of non abuse and low miles decreases the chance of diff failure.

The Fuse Box is an easy check and will fail over time guaranteed over time due to electrical draw.

17. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    It's worth it to change.
    Even Ferrari upgraded it for final few 512TR and 512M.

I just changed one for 512TR, it was also leaking oil from left carrier O-ring, so diff had to come out to change that and that O-ring was like plastic and brittle, so extra 3500€ for parts to change that diff is not so bad, if you think it this way; You do not participate to gamble, where some win and some loose.

Show picture from diff casing and failure of one to someone who understand metal behavior, I think you get good awser.

18. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I wasn't having any diff problems but last major service I had it changed anyway. On less thing to worry about.

19. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Changed it to which differential ?

20. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I put in the Forza unit.

21. isaydingdong

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    is that the unit with all new internals?

22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    May I have an idea of the money you paid for that new diff?

thank you very much!

ciao

23. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    The flat 12 and 3X8 cars use different diff carriers.

Me personally - I hated asking myself these questions: Will it fail?, What has my car been thru?, I've heard of many others that didn't break?, If it goes, will it be just the carrier? The whole transaxle? I changed it. Not too terrible, and not too expensive given cost of everything else and am glad to not think about it.

Also, I think Newman has seen enough of these break to gage how bad the risk is, and more importantly, I think he has a genuine passion for the cars and doesn't want them broken.

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    please remember all:
    newman just had a car with a broken diff and not realized it during driving. only when he took it apart he was surprised by himself.
    just don`t know where the post with pictures is. may someone put a link in here please

25. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I know this may be difficult but it would be great to gather the data on diff failures vs miles driving and statistically determine the probability of failure based on miles. If anyone has this data, I'd be more than happy to run the analysis. 6 data points minimum but 30 would be ideal.