Turning Fogs into Daytime Running Lights | FerrariChat

Turning Fogs into Daytime Running Lights

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by axolotl, May 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. axolotl

axolotl Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    tim
    Hi folks,

I'm new here - about to take delivery of my 89 TR (80165) here in Vancouver. One of the requirements in BC is that cars have daytime running lights. The car is a US car and doesn't have DRLs, so I am trying to figure out how to hook this up.

I've spent quite a bit of time searching but haven't found the solution...I could permanently jump the fog light switch S (pink) to SN (pink/black), but I'm not sure that would work all the time (I think I would have to have the headlamps switched to at least position 1). Then I found a post that suggested jumping white connector K3 (P25) to X11 (P56) which may be the other half of what I'd need to do (to close the flasher connection to the fogs).

I'm just a little hesitant to go randomly jumping wires together, after having read that the fuse panel is not the most robust part of the car after 27 years...has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions at all would be hugely appreciated.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hello axolotl

thank you for filling out your profile, would be nice to introduce yourself also a little. thank you

the day lights have to be on only in front or also in rear?
    here in germany there are additional daylights available, LED so need not much power. I would add 2 of those to your car and install them near the foglights, may be behind the grill? how far from outside they have to be ( max. )?

3. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Are you sure you need to have daytime running lights? I read that only cars built after December of 1989 need to comply with this requirement when being imported? Does BC have it's own law? Congrats on your testarossa, when you get it take some pics and fill out your profile, lots of people here to help you with all the questions you may have.

Cheers

4. axolotl

axolotl Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    tim
    thanks for the welcome! I'll get on that profile when car arrives in next 48 hours (can't wait!).

BC does have its own law as far as I can tell, even though it would be exempt from the federal and RIV requirements.

And there is no requirement for rear DRLs - front only. From what I can tell by reading older posts, Canadian TRs had the fog light switch deleted and the fog lights were just used as DRLs (although owners of true Canadian TRs please feel free to correct me).

5. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Are daytime running lights the same as the 'parking lights' green button switch on the center console?

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    no, the daylights are much more "shiny" then the parking lights, like low beam.

7. axolotl

axolotl Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    tim
    thanks for the welcome! I thought I replied to this earlier but I'm still learning how the forum UI works. Car arrives in about 48 hours (can't wait!); will get some pics for the profile when it arrives.

I believe all BC cars need DRLs, even though it would be federal and RIV exempt. From what I can tell from searching the forums, the fog lamps were used in Canadian TRs as the DRLs, and the ceiling fog switch was deleted (although I may be wrong about this). Rear DRL(s) aren't needed in Canada.

I've watched a few youtube videos about installing LED DRLs - definitely a good option but would prefer to keep car as stock as possible...

8. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    DRL are a Canadian federal mandate, though regulated/enforced provincially. For BC, the requirement was for 1990 model year to current. So if you have a 1989, DRL not required. DRL are about half the low beams. Legally it has to be the configuration set up for the TR imported to CAnada. So your ferrari dealership should have the plug and play for this (I am making an assumption in this area).
    It should not be, ie fog lights converted. But then I doubt if anyone would know the difference or get charged for it.

9. axolotl

axolotl Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    tim
    woo-hoo! Thanks Vince! I'll check back in if I hear anything different. Would be awesome if I'm exempt.
    Cheers,
    Tim

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The DRL when introduced in 1990 were the two high beams connected in serie on most cars. So the they are 50% brightness of high beams. The Canadian Testarossa were specifically built for Canada and have a M in the vin number from 1990 and had the DRL from factory not a dealer installed thing. There is NO fog light switch in a real Canadian TR they are only DRL.

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I don't notice any specific relay or wiring harness in the various parts catalogues for CDN DRL installations.

12. Yenko

Yenko Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Keith
    #12 Yenko, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #13 zudnic, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    The DLR is federal and not provincial. Provincial governments do not have the power to create stricter laws once a federal law is in place. They can only regulate federal law, not change it. BC can't constitutionally make all cars have DLRs in the province. The DLRS must be installed on all vehicles after the federal motor vehicle act came into force by royal assent. So even an MY 1990 made in 1989 doesn't require them by law. Since a out of province or imported vehicle needs a safety inspection by an authorized mechanic. A ignorant of the law shop might give a hassle on a MY 1990 built in 89.

The province could ban right hand drive cars, or it could require everyone drive with lights on. But it can't take away or make stricter laws once passed federally.

14. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    The province can't ban RHD because there is nothing written into the Motor Vehicle Act stating which side of the car the steering wheel should be. The only hassle with RHD is headlight beam pattern (which the "fat" part of the beam shines onto oncoming traffic instead of off to the curb side. This is part of the regulations and is tested).

MVI requirements explicitly state:

"m) daytime running lights - required on all vehicles manufactured on and after December 1, 1989"

Taken from the inspection manual (I have a copy). If the car was built on November 30th, fine, if the car was built on December 2nd, it better have them...

15. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The federal government does give the provinces some authority for registration purposes and public safety. They just can't contradict written federal law.

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I didn't look at the wiring diagram for the Cdn TR. I should have! But technically the FOG(DRL) should come on when the ignition switch is on and the hand brake released. I know for sure there is no fog light switch. Mine didn't had one.

17. axolotl

axolotl Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    tim
    Hey folks - OP here. Wow - thank you to everyone! This has totally cleared up what was a pretty foggy issue in my mind (heh, sorry).

Had the inspection yesterday - and yes as the car was manufactured before Dec 1989 (80165 was manufactured in January 1989), it is DRL exempt as per Canadian federal law.

However...it failed inspection (grr). Too much play in the right front inner tie rod. Anyone know a good Ferrari garage in Vancouver (other than FMoV, just for shopping around for quotes)?

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    niceto hear that nearly all is ok.
    but I think you mean not right front inner tie rod?
    you mean the right front inner tie rod end?

19. axolotl

axolotl Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    tim
    yes! sorry. Right front inner tie rod end, a part that according to FMoV is no longer available/manufactured by Ferrari. I'm going to start searching for parts...

20. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
  21. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If it is like I think you can probably take the inner tie-rod out tight the inner nut and put it back in place. The seat of ball end can be thightened for adjustment.

22. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    True.

23. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Congrats on the purchase and the fact it squeaked by without needing DRL.

As for your mechanical issue, play could be interpreted that it is the inner joint, when it could be simply the bushing that the rack glides in. The likelihood of it being the bushing is greater than the actual tie-rod. I made my own for my 308 and it did absolute wonders to improve steering feel and stability. When I pulled my rack apart, the ball joints showed no visible wear at all (with 50K+ miles on the odo), but the plastic bushing was toast.

There is Joseph's "Prancing Horse" in North Van that could do the Re&Re work, but he's a busy man and I don't know what his workload is like. I haven't been to him, but he's highly regarded: Prancing Horse Inc. - Ferrari Repairs

There is Milo's on Kingsway. I haven't dealt with them before, but they specialize in the older exotics and did the MVI on a 348 Spider that belongs to a friend of mine: Milo European Cars - Vancouver, Canada

There's my friend Bernie Hamm out in Mission. Been in the business for decades and cut his teeth on Italian exotics: Bent Wrenches Auto Service

I hope that helps.

24. axolotl

axolotl Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    tim
    Wow - great suggestions Peter and Claude. I'll check them all out. Unfortunately I'm living in a place right now where I don't have a place to work on the car but it sounds like I should get a second opinion before doing anything else. Amazing advice ! Thanks everyone.

25. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    My pleasure.

If possible, bring your "new" TR out to the Father's Day car show in Waterfront Park in North Van (beside the Lonsdale Quay). Slap some temp day permits on it to drive out there ;) I'd love to see it.