misfiring 512tr | FerrariChat

misfiring 512tr

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by danceboy512, Jun 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. danceboy512

danceboy512 Rookie

Jun 5, 2016
    hope someone can help ! I have an early euro spec 512 TR,Its developed a fault thats got me beat...when cold the car is perfect , however after approx 25miles or when up to temperature it starts to misfire, then one bank seems to shut down completely and lots of blue smoke out of the rightside exhaust. No warning lights or strange noise just lack of power. If i park up and leave for a couple of hours all is ok again until temperature builds up again. I'm faily sure its an electronic problem , but not sure where to start...have changed both coil packs and amplifiers, didnt fix it .... does this ring a bell with anyone...many thanks

2. danceboy512

danceboy512 Rookie

Jun 5, 2016
    I have a euro spec early 512TR, Its developed a fault which I'm finding difficult to trace. The car is perfect when cold, starts easy and drives well until it gets hot , usually after about 25 miles. It then starts to pop and misfire and then loses lots or power ,also a lot of blue oil smoke from the right side exhaust.If I leave it to cool down for an hour or two its back to normal....Ive changed both coil packs and the small amplifiers , but that has made no difference, I get no warning lights and no strange noises, not sure what to check next...any input would be gratefully received !!

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Check all of the electrical connections in the engine bay and in the fuse panel in the trunk. Disconnect & reconnect them to possibly clean off any oxidation. On the regular TR's there is a thermo-time switch on top of the water gooseneck that can create issues after warm up, does the 512TR have this same component?

4. danceboy512

danceboy512 Rookie

Jun 5, 2016
    am being told that it may be an injector sticking open,,,this would cause a lot of fuel through the system which may be why there is so much oil smoke..I,m going to check plugs and injectors next !!

5. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If it an injector on one side is sticking open or dribbling fuel you might be able to tell which side of the exhaust smells rich and narrow it down a bit. Probably wouldn't hurt to run some injector cleaner / lubricant through the system. Bahr dall use to make a great injector lube / cleaner that absolutely was great stuff .

6. danceboy512

danceboy512 Rookie

Jun 5, 2016
    ok , took out plugs on rightside bank and pleased to say one was very wet and oily....so will now take out the appropriate injector and see if i can clean it or probably replace it... apparently its unlikely to be a plug problem,that wouldnt cause the excessive smoking, so will now try to locate a new injector and hope all is well...many thanks

7. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    May be prudent to check your engine oil and make sure it hasn't become diluted with raw gas/petrol, and that similarly the level hasn't risen due to gas/petrol cross contamination? John

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then just check the compression
    may be a ring is broken?

9. danceboy512

danceboy512 Rookie

Jun 5, 2016
    its all getting a bit scary ! will do a compression check next....

10. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If it runs fine while it's warming up, I don't think you need to worry too much about. It's probably electrical or the injector.

11. danceboy512

danceboy512 Rookie

Jun 5, 2016
    had the injector tested and cleaned all seemed ok but then the car is fine when cool , so will change it anyway. waiting for new injector and a set of new NGK plugs to arrive , then fit and test, if no change then as the injectors are controlled by the ECU,s , my next step will be to swap the ECU,s to see if problem goes to other bank...

12. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm thinking injector had a slight issue. The ethanol gas is hard on everything and just not good gas. I would probably take an ohm meter and check the plug wire resistance value. I might check another wire for a reference value.

13. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    There is a definite possibility that that injector sticks and stays open, causing smoke and misfiring.
    Another possibility is an ECU problem when hot. It should be easily tested - if the problem occurs, disconnect that injector and see if the smoke subsides. If it does, and returns with reattached connector, it will be the ECU. Make sure to get a few tries before condemning either one, the act of releasing the connector might close the sticking injector and lead to faulty conclusions.

14. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Is the 512TR's injection system similar to the TR's CIS, ie, "Always on" injectors? They're always spraying; they don't pulse.

Also, blue smoke isn't too rich of a mixture - it's oil. Too rich of a mixture is black smoke. Maybe, when the oil is cold it's thicker, so it's plugging up whatever leak you have (ring as Joe said), and when it heats up, the oil thins out and tada.

15. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Do the basics, and check your coils and plug wires, etc. While doing the major on my testarossa I couldn't believe how bad the wires were. They were pretty hardened, and none had continuity...

A bad wire would cause that cylider to misfire...

16. danceboy512

danceboy512 Rookie

Jun 5, 2016
    thing is I'm being told that if one plug wasn't firing it would hardly cause any smoke and i get lots !...so it it would seem to be an injector problem...just have to hope its an easy find and doesn't require a new ECU ,££££ !!

17. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are you sure it isn't white smoke? Sometimes it's hard to tell. Could it possibly be that you have a blown head gasket? Maybe it doesn't manifest itself until the car warms up and it seeps coolant into the cylinder in question.

That's the only other thing I can think of because blue smoke is not good. The only time you SHOULD get blue smoke is on initial cold startup and it shouldn't take more a second or two to clear out. Beyond that, blue smoke is bad...very bad.

18. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    check your fuel pressure.