Cool now, but getting hot. - SteveM Please | FerrariChat

Cool now, but getting hot. - SteveM Please

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Jun 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mr. Magnusson I call upon your great TR electrical wisdom once again.

Somehow, in the process of fixing my AC, I managed to do something to cause the cooling fans to stop working. I was enjoying a nice icy cold interior drive when I noticed my engine temp was a little higher than usual. It was evening so it never got really hot but the fans never came on and it was definitely hotter than it should be for that to occur.

I looked over everything I previously touched expecting it to be obvious but it wasn't. I pulled the fuse box out numerous times and couldn't spot anything obvious.

So I request, oh wise one, a short tutorial of the process to trace this problem. From everything I see, it appears that each fan is fused, relayed, and powered independently from the other. I'm not getting either fan so....?

As always, your enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    With the key "on" and everything plugged in, use a jumper wire to connect the ZN (purple-black) wire at one end of the j white connector to ground:

If the water fans run = that's a sign that the water thermoswitch is bad or the wiring going to it.

If the water fans don't run = I'd first guess that something on your "modified" fuse-relay panel is wacky/broken, but for a next test: unplug each water fan relay (key "off') and touch a jumper wire from the 30 terminal in the relay socket to the 87 terminal in the relay socket = the corresponding water fan should run.

Try some of that and report the results.

3. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    OK, lets talk about that thermoswitch and the wiring. When purple/blk is grounded, fans run.

Is this going to be a connector under expansion tank problem again?

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, the TR wiring diagram shows that the ZN wire runs directly from the water thermoswitch to the j connector. Either the water thermoswitch in the bottom tank of the LH radiator is bad or not well connected, or the (local) wire going from to other side of the water thermoswitch to ground is no longer connected. The next test would be to unplug the water thermoswitch and connect the two terminals in the unplugged wiring harness together (simulating a closed water thermoswitch) with the key "on" = water fans should run as in your previous test. If not, you probably have a bad local ground connection. If they do run = not a good sign for the water thermoswitch (but maybe just unplugging/reseating the connector could fix a bad connection).

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    stand by....

6. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You make my life too easy sir.

Yup, pull the two leads off the switch in the bottom of the LH radiator and voila! They run. Bad switch.

Thank you for the countless number of answers from you.

Now, off to search for that switch. Any leads there?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, I've no secret sources ;)

8. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah, I find no cross reference and Trutlands seems to be the best deal at $49.95 + freight (There are others a few bucks cheaper but they rape you on freight. Truts is always reasonable)

Stupid money for a glorified on/off switch.

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Oh, I forgot to point out that my 13 year old spaghetti fuse box was vindicated once again. It was NOT the culprit in either of my two current electrical issues.

Yea me!

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Scott, $49.95 is cheap for a Ferrari electrical part why are you complaining ;) This part will help you cool down.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may use any switch from a VW, the thread is M 22 x 1,5, cost not even 15 $ I think and in all VW shops available. if the switch will turn on/off 2 or 4 degrees earlier or later it does not matter

12. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah, cheap for a Ferrari part but ridiculous for real world. Look at the next post from Romano. This is what I was looking for. An alternative. Maybe one i can find on the island.

Thanks Romano. I'll let you know if I find it here.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may go to an auto parts store. they have also. important is only the thread.
    good luck

14. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Four Seasons 36520

Appears to be identical and it's only $7.50

I'll go pick it up today and if it's correct, I'll post it in the cross reference sticky.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    From the pictures I found on the net the difference can possibly be in the terminals or connector. Good luck!

16. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #16 qwazipsycho, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson

(just adding the F PN for future searches)

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I told you scott :)

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah, I figured if anyone had found an alternative it would be you. Thanks for the info. I just started searching old Veedub's and looking at their radiator switches. Landed on 77 Scirocco and it was identical in dimensions.

I can't tell if it's really any warmer when it kicks on but the fans seem to run for a shorter period of time. I assume there's an "off" temperature as well as an "on" temp. Maybe this differential is smaller in the newer switch? I'd like to look at specs on these things. It would be nice to find one that has a slightly lower on and slightly higher off than factory.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    have a look at the switch. normaly there are the on/off temperatures stamped in at the side