Hold your water | FerrariChat

Hold your water

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Jun 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #1 qwazipsycho, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a small crack in one of the grooves on top of the expansion tank. It's only about 1/16th of an inch and hairline wide. I tried to drop a blob of solder on it and it worked for a while but eventually started to weep.

Any suggestions for plugging this permenantly? The metal is still very solid around this crack. It's not crumbly and rusted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Braze it, rather than solder. Should work fine... Just uses higher temp material... Or, weld it...

3. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    +1
    common issue

4. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you, just needed a kick in the brain.

Duh

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 qwazipsycho, Jun 14, 2016
  6. sohailrashid

sohailrashid Karting

Jun 18, 2005
    San Jose California
    Full Name:
    testacalvo
    It looks really good. Just wondering if you got it done at a welding shop or did you do it yourself? I have to get mine done.

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah, it looked good until I put it back in and it sprung another pinhole leak.

I took it to a buddy's shop and asked if I could just use his oxy/acetylene torch. He said he would do it for me. He always wants to tell people that he works on Ferrari's and this is his way of proving it. I stood there and watched. I wasn't impressed with his work and almost said, "Hey, it looks like there's a hole in that" but I didn't. Now I'm going to do it myself. Just need to get some gas for my torch. Another wasted effort that has to be done over. Friggin' love this B!TCH

You'd think I'd have learned my lesson years ago. If I EVER mention getting another party involved, just scream these words at me:

STOP LETTING OTHER PEOPLE WORK ON OR DRIVE YOUR CAR! THEY ONLY MAKE IT WORSE! NOBODY KNOWS OR LOVES YOUR CAR MORE THAN YOU DO!

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are right scott, but only because you work on your car, doing allby yourself and also of course drive it. same as me

9. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Mine had a pinhole leak that was welded. Then tried to use a sealant. Was ok for a little less than a year. Then it burst a few more new holes as I was driving one summer and I had to have her towed. I ended up just buying a new one. I have a 512 TR and I think the only expansion tanks one can find now are from the 512m which is slightly different as the hosing changed at the rear of the tank(near the bulkhead). Now I drive with piece of mind but it wasn't cheap.

10. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    After the first leak in the expansion tank expect more to come soon.......

Bad design, should have been made of a high temp plastic in the first instance. :(

Phil

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    at that time plastic was not common
    and I hate those plastic parts, nearly not to repair

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You might want to look at a silver solder which is 60% silver, you need an oxy/ acetylene set to apply it. Common name is AG 60 or something similar. Advantage is that it flows a lot easier than brazing rods and you can get it pre flux coated. Any over covering can easily removed with some abrasive tape like alluminium oxide. This stuff has a lower melting point so less change of distorting things. Used on refridgeration piping.

13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    OK Romano. I'm counting on you to be my support. Kind of like an AA member. You have to talk me down when I start acting all crazy n stuff turning back to my bad ways an associating with my old gangsta mechanic thugs.

14. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    How cheap wasn't it?

15. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So I'm learning. This is just another of the many "bad design's" in this car. As beautiful as she is, she is just a Frankenstein of bad parts. I swear Ferrari went to every supplier and said "Give us the worst of your best and we'll show you how to polish a turd to an ultra high gloss"

I dumped a good 1/3 cup of rust chips out of that tank while I had it off so I'm sure I'm just playing games waiting for the next leak to spring.

16. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I saw the stuff in the store when I went to get the brazing rods. You can use MAPP gas on both the silver and brass as far as I know. The problem I've heard with silver is it's very picky about what it sticks to. It must be super sterile clean. Brass is a bit more forgiving. I don't know if that's true. I've only worked with brass. But hey, I got it to seal. I can just keep playing little dutch boy for a while and keep plugging up the holes. Let's see how long this one holds.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Assuming you wire brush the brass u will have no problem using AG60 on this. U can use oxy acet on this but if u tried normal plumbers solder you would need to use propane or similar as the oxy acet flame is not clean enough. The AG 60 comes pre fluxed and u can get additional flux which is acid based so will clean it for you. We used to use this on alluminium brass alloy pipes and that is hard stuff to braze. I have seen this used on aircraft ejector seats and pressure tested to over 3000 psi. Not sure what you mean by MAPP Gas but if this is a plumbers gas lamp then forget it as not hot enough , u need the localised heat of the welding tip

18. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    It was 530 GBP. Fingers crossed the UK leaves the EU so we can buy all of Eurospares inventory on the cheap!!

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    they will raise the prices or count in US $ then

20. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    TOTAL DICKS!!!!

21. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Holy crap! I just looked at the exchange rate. Yesterday it was about $2=1 pound. Now it's $0.75=1 pound.

Please don't raise your prices. Let us have this one guys.

22. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #22 ozziindaus, Jun 24, 2016
    $USD? I don't know about that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. ozziindaus