Testarossa Clutch Replacement documented | FerrariChat

Testarossa Clutch Replacement documented

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dradambbb, Jun 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've just gone through the steps of replacing the clutch on my Testarossa. I documented my steps in http://docdro.id/o6XkKqv. My car has an OS Giken clutch but for the most part the steps are identical to OE.

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    BTW, thanks for posting this! Very informative, and the timing is great as well! :)

3. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    Yes, thanks for this!

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    SUPER Adam !

That's what this Forum is for: helping out each other !

5. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I'm very pleased that this documentation has come in handy. I didn't get the Testarossa just to look at it and occasionally drive it. There's pleasure in working on a well engineered vehicle. Coming from classic Mercedes-Benz I was pleasantly surprised to find how well this model is put together.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but your mercedes 450SEL 6.9 is also very well put together

thank you for filling out your profile :)

7. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My point is that I didn't expect as much from a Ferrari. The 6.9 is near bullet proof.

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks for sharing your experience....
    Cheers,
    Vincenzo

9. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Yes, thanks. Between all the information we have gathered here on this subject, there's no excuse not to do the job yourself. :p

BTW I was quoted ~$6k for this job at an F dealership and ~$10k if the flywheel needed replacement.....like how often does that happen??

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    BTW I was quoted $1200 for organic and $1400 for Kevlar resurfacing including resurfacing the flywheel from Clutchmasters yesterday.

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Damn, they've gone up. Can you negotiate with them? Tell 'em that they did mine exactly a year ago for $1000 and that was Kevlar. Ask for Lonnie. I'll even send you my receipt if you think it would help. Worth a shot.

Besides the double clutch plates, I really don't think it would matter to them whether it's a Ferrari or a Ford so I hope they're not adding a premium.

12. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    My clutch replacement cost $1400 all in based on post-Brexit exchange rates. I would say that you need to be a reasonably competent DIY mechanic to do the job but it is doable.

13. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Adam, where did you get your clutch from?

14. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe

Did you tell them the clutch was for a TR, or just that it was a dual disc Borg and Beck unit? I made the mistake of saying it was for a TR.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    CM did my clutch in October 13? It was about $1100 for Kevlar and they knew it was for a TR........Im sure I told them a billion times.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then you surely payed also the F price? tell them it is for a tractor, may be then only half price? they need only to know the torque and the hp. balancing does not matter if 3000 or 7000 rpm - it is a must

17. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    He knew exactly what it was for and I also don't think it matters who originally produced the clutch. They'll replace your diaphragm spring (laser cut?), shims if required and friction pads like they would every other clutch they receive. I don't think they balance based on a thread I read here. I'm still shocked they quoted that much.

I'll bet there are at least 5 here that have had their clutches done at CM and no one has paid close to what you were quoted. I would definately call them back and ask why the prices have gone up so much. Maybe there's a misunderstanding.

18. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I am in the UK. I discovered that my Testarossa had the OS Giken clutch fitted previously. The clutch elements are fitted on to an OS Giken flywheel which was already in place. The replacement parts were supplied very quickly from Japan by RB Motorsport New Product Releases Very pleased with their communication. There should be a distributor where you are.