What's my TR worth? | FerrariChat

What's my TR worth?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Steve Magnusson, Jun 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Just had a serious contact (by someone out of the blue) wanting to buy my TR so looking to the FChat brain trust for some advice for a ballpark $ number:

1991 US version TR
    78K miles
    red outside/black interior/black trunk carpets/spare included
    All Owners books (but I'll probably sell the tools and jack kit separately)
    Just a Daily Driver with a few small zits/wrinkles on the outside along with the expected number of rock chips for that mileage -- but stlll look great from 10 feet ;). A couple of minor "bonks" repaired over the years (but no panel replacements).
    Needs major (but had a really big $15K major last time - new head gaskets, engine-gearbox resealed, heater hoses replaced, SR hoses, etc. so just a more "normal" major this time)
    AC not working, but all present (I think the expansion valve my be blocked and the compressor needs a rebuild)
    Driver seat bolster has huge hole ;)
    Tubi muffler with Hyper-flow cats
    all Titanium pedals (including dead pedal)

Please let me know what you think is the fair "number"...no wrong answers ;)

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don't know what it's worth, but one thing is for sure, I'm sure your electrical system is top notch! :)

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    100k?
    I have never bought or sold a 1991 for the sake of full transparency

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Agree. I would shoot for $100k

R

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if you like/love the car and if you don´t need the money I would not sell, and if then only if you will get much money. so if someone will offer you 150k $ I would not sell then. too less money for such a car with this all done. but if you need the money for an other project then give it away for 100k.
    only my personal meaning and has nothing to do with economy

6. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Bravo on your car having 78K! But on the other side of the coin, it is 78K(higher mileage). Plus needing a major - I would venture to say around 80-85K.

Good luck with your decision.

7. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Your Rep here has got be worth at least another $100K on top! But in the real world $85k-ish needing a major and the miles.

8. IslandBoy

IslandBoy Formula Junior

May 26, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Richard H
  9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I did read your post when there was not a single answer but I was shy to say $80K before anyone would do it. That is also my feeling of what it's worth now in this condition. I had in mind 75K. They've cool down since last year.

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Here's your challenge Steve , everyone here saying it's worth 'x' not one of them would give you that money they quoted you - regardless of how much they would scream and yell that if they had the money and were in the market they would. They would NOT.
    You need to decide what you need in order to be willing to let it go. Once you cross that bridge it's just a matter of this buyer stepping up.
    Personally, I hope you get over 100 - reality, these are garbage cars, so pick your number.
    If this buyer is serious and a decent number and he passes or you pass give me a PM , my 86 is the same colo combo as yours with 44,000 miles and I have a fresh service and all records to prove, my a/c works, and original muffler and borla with the car. All books and records and warranty card. He can buy mine.
    Good luck !

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Agree with everything in your post, but you didn't give a $ amount for what minimum YOU (as an un-involved observer) would expect as fair for your TR in today's market (and it's not an easy answer to come up with in 3 seconds out of the blue) -- I know more is always better for the Seller, and, for some, no number is big enough ;).

If I was actively selling the car, I'd probably go the other way around - put a ridiculously low "$X or best offer in the next 30 days" and sit back for the feeding frenzy knowing that I might leave a few $s on the table, but that I would have zero hassle and would get an immediate committed Buyer out of it (with many back-up Buyers). Did something like that with my ex-308 15 years ago, and I heard from a huge swarm of sharks and nearly every F business on this continent (many of whom weren't shy about offering even less $s than my uber-low ask) -- but in a few days Ted Rutlands himself was writing a check in my Kitchen for what I wanted and drove it away...

12. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I think this is a very personal decision and that's hard to pin down.

So your target audience is probably willing to pay 65-85 for the car.
    your mileage is in the 95th percentile, so keep that in mind.
    Mileage isn't too much of an issue for a person that knows they are going to put miles on it and knows its not going to depreciate as the miles rack up.

Your car is a TR that is reachable to somebody that wants to fulfill their dream of owning a TR. Possibly somebody willing to do their own work too.

But there's also your willingness to sell it. If some guy wanted to buy mine (more miles and in rougher shape than yours) I would not sell it under 100k, but I just got it and its been my dream car for a while. But if I ever needed money or was tired of it, i think 65kish would be reasonable.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

What are the leakdown numbers?

Im rebuilding one right now because the liners are worn out plus it was leaking significantly past all 24 exhaust valves. At that mileage the first thing I think of as a buyer is Ill be rebuilding the engine at some point in my ownership if I were to buy it. Odds are higher vs one that has 22K miles on it. The car lands in an unknown territory for me knowing what can go wrong, higher risk unfortunately and I can fix it myself. If I paid $100K, put a diff in it and rebuilt the engine with cast iron liners I would be upside down before the engine was back in the car.

If you love the car and have no reason to sell it then keep it.

14. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #14 ozziindaus, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Agree with everything in your post Paul, but you only said "not $100K" -- how about an "is $XXK" number in your opinion?

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Steve, I can't give you a number because I have no interest. Hence why I said 100. Anything over, and the buyer will say too much ....even at a 100 they will say too much ( it's a sickness for people to always say too much no matter what the number). At a 100 you will at least see how serious the buyer is with a counter. If they counter with a real number. If they are that serious have them give you a number first.I'm sure your engine runs like new , the TR engine is bullet proof as is the gearbox.
    Good luck !

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's only worth what somebody is willing to pay. Advertise the car for 100k and see what offers you get. Average them out, it will give you a good idea of what the true market value is. Obviously weed out the dealers.

In my eyes 100k is a fair number for a good clean well sorted car with current service.

18. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    +100

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Problem is my number means nothing because Im not a buyer. If I say $80K and someone gives you 90 then Im a dummy for saying whats its worth. If the buyer just wants a testarossa and at the time they were looking yours fit their budget then you get the 90k. Too many variables and an emotional purchase can defy logic. Your description of having a few bonks, needs a service and has some battle scars means statistically (to the educated level headed buyer) its at the lower end of whatever the actual typical sales are of driver quality cars. Asking prices mean nothing as you know and theres no shortage of cars for sale.

20. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    From someone who is looking to purchase, from my perspective I will highly disagree with people saying give it away at 100k.

Why would anyone want to pay 100k, for a car that from the description not only needs a major, but has many other issues as well that are listed, plus those not listed. Even once you spend a ton of money, you are still left with an 80k mile car, when you could of simply purchased something like this:

Ferrari Testarossa TR | eBay

I think many people have seen a few extreme TR examples and wishfully think they are all worth as much. Price inmo would be in the 50-60k range. Like it or not, the market has certainly cooled off, and there are plenty of cars on the market, with many sitting for long periods of time.

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Shhhh - me too, but trying to get everyone's opinion (and thanks for giving yours). The number in my head was/is a little higher than yours, but not by too much. From cars presently for sale, it's not that hard to guess a ballpark number by subtracting the deductions, but the unknown is how fast the future value will go up and what's that worth. I still can't wrap my head around where (and how fast) the 246 and Boxer (or even 308) values went up.

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Cooled off yes, levelled off and corrected maybe? The bottom didn't fall out and you need a pile of desperate sellers dumping cars to get fire sale prices. You're a buyer so of course you want a deal.

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

24. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You are correct, a few years ago cars in similar shape were in the 40k range, so inmo the value is still elevated. There are plenty of relatively low mileage , serviced cars with asking prices in the low 120's sitting unsold.

Ferrari Testarossa Coupe | eBay

25. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    True. In the Dinos case to be fair, it is a good bit older than a TR, and its production #s are 1/2 of the TR. Ive also been looking at 308/328's, and to be fair, those cars are for the most part sitting unsold as well.

Just an honest opinion, as its not a car I myself am interested in, simply gave an honest # that might make me give it a second look as a buyer.