TR A/C | FerrariChat

TR A/C

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by gjpearce, Jun 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gjpearce

gjpearce Rookie

Aug 17, 2011
    1988.5 TR- air stopped working but compressor switches
    any one know where sight glass is and how many pounds of R134 it holds
    Thank you

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    My 87 sight glass is under carpet flap on passenger side under the front hood. If you could keep it still R-12 you will be better off.

3. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Why? My compressor started seeping oil so I decided to swap over to R134 this past spring and see no reason yet to regret doing so. No more having to hawk Craigslist ads or fleabay for anyone selling R12 illegally for stupid money.

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Your system was designed for R-12. R-134 is more overcharge or under charge sensitive. The R-134 usually requires a larger condenser to be as efficient. But if you had a component failure then R-134 is probably the best. If your original system wasn't compromised, then recovering and reusing the R-12 would still work.

5. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Interesting. So far I've only noticed it blows as cool as on the R-12. Besides the compressor the biggest reason I converted was I was really sick of trying to locate overpriced R-12 which I had done year before last when my system was low and needed a recharge. That and ease of service in the future. A new Sanden comp, a receiver/drier and a pressure switch was all that was needed.

6. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    How often have you needed a recharge? I had mine charged in the Spring of 2013 and it is not blowing very cold any more(compressor clicks on so I think just needs charge) 3 years later.

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Are you charging it soon Alex ? Let us know please :)

8. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    You may have a leak. For me, 2 years ago was the only time I needed a recharge in 11 years of ownership at that time.

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    It believe you made the correct choice considering you problems. My 87 Tr still has the R-12 and no problems other than a minor charge. As long as an A/C system stays sealed and moisture doesn't get in, they work well.

10. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    I had mine recharged and it works great again. It was charged 3 years ago. Have no leaks either. It is stored for at least 4 months of the year not sure if that makes a difference.

11. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    After a summer of use rolling up over 1.4k miles with R134a in my '85 I can say that I have no regrets at all switching from R-12 and see no reason why anyone should hesitate if they're contemplating the switch.

12. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Same here, I have been using R-134 for many years in my TR. Works fine