Typical coolant gripes | FerrariChat

Typical coolant gripes

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Bradwilliams, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

So the car was driven consistently until the end of last summer. Got her back and was running great until a week ago. Typical coolant nonsense

I've been trying the bleeding procedure on Shamille's thread and the issue is that when you fire the car up, it is not pulling the coolant through on startup. Sounds like it could be a stuck thermostat. fans won't come on at 200 at all. Should I just pull all the coolant out and start over again? I had the typical coolant coming out of the hose first, so I added and bled. Now it just seems like there isn't any pressure in there. Cheers

-Kurt

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Have you tried just touching each radiator to see if they are about equally hot when the temperature gauge in the dash reads 200 deg F? Since the thermoswitch for the cooling fans is in the LH radiator a stuck thrermostat on that side could give you a symptom of:

LH radiator cool
    RH radiator hot
    dash temp gauge reads hot
    cooling fans never come on

However, if both radiators are equally hot to the touch, but the cooling fans don't come on when the dash gauge reads 200 deg F = something electrical wrong.

So "radiators equally hot" or radiators not equally hot" should help you decide what to do next.

3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#3 Bradwilliams, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Thanks Steve,

They're equally hot. I'll ceck the fusebox for the fan fuse if there is one.

There are two sets of radiator fan fuses. Two big blocks, which I know can't be bad (dave helms upgrade) and two regular fuses (left and raight h20 vent radiator fans. There are no fuses in the two slots. Hmmm

4. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    Check the white connectors as we'll for signs of burning / bad connection.

The only radiator bleeding I have ever done is to loosen the brass plug on top of the thermostat housing. You may need to do this two or three times but usually most or all the air is expelled on the first attempt. The Thermostats have a small hole in them to make sure that air cannot be trapped.

HTH

Phil

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    Yes, the SRI TR fusepanel modification relocates the fuses, relays, and main power connections for the water fans elsewhere (so the typical trouble place that Phil mentioned should already be out of the picture).

Connect the two wires of the water themoswitch in the bottom tank of the LH radiator together with the key "on" = water fans should run.

If the water fans run under these test conditions, but don't when the LH radiator is truly hot = water thermoswitch probably bad.

If the water fans don't run with the water thermoswitch wires connected together and key "on" = electrical problem somewhere else.

Not sure how the SRI mod affects the wiring going from the coolant thermoswitch to the fuse-relay panel, but this thread has some more information for how to do this test without having to get under the car if you still have a ZN (purple-black) wire at one end of the j horizontal white connector (post #2):

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/524898-cool-now-but-getting-hot-stevem-please.html

6. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

How do I get access to these wires connecting to the thermoswitch? Do I need to pull the rear wheel well to get to them?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not sure (but that's why I prefer doing it at the j connector ;)).

8. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

okay, where on the fusebox is that?

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Better off to unplug the fan switch on the left rad bottom and join the wires together. That'll test the entire circuit in an instant. No need to remove the splash shield.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    to put the 2 wires at the thermoswitch together it needs not much work. if you have a lift you just see how easy it is, otherwise you may go under the car, but no need to remove anything than the 2 wires

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#11 Bradwilliams, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks guys. Just hit the wires and as expected it fires on so it doesn't seem to be electrical. More than likely looking at a bad thermoswitch. There is just the one on the left side that seems to be a bolt. What socket size do you guys use to get it off? Cheers,

-Kurt

12. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just replaced mine last week. Take it to the local parts store and tell them its from a Volkswagon Scirocco. That'll save you $50 - $250 depending on which F pimp you call.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel

size is 28 mm, an not so common size, but available, you need a long nut because of the connectors
    but before you remove check if the radiator is getting warm, not that the thermostat is not working right

14. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Yes they are both getting warm.

15. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Got the four seasons equivalent thermoswitch and the 28mm socket. However the socket is too small. These thermoswitches are at least 29-30mm

16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Installed the new switch and the fans are operational again. But they don't want to play ball until the car is about half-way in between the 2nd and third temp lines (considerably over 200). And when they engage they don't stay on that long. Before, the fans would stay on long enough to push the needle way to the left into the 170 range. Hmmm

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then you need a switch with lower temperature to switch off
    my replaced switch has 28 mm from VW

18. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I had no idea that the switches had different temp settings? What is the part number on your vw T-joe?

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    there are sooooo many switches on the market with the same thread but with different temperatures
    just now I´m in thailand and will be back end of july. then I will have a look and let you know. ( so if I would forget please remember me )
    but I modified the complete system and put in on the right radiator also a switch only for the rigth fan then. as I remember the switch-on-temperature is between 85°C and 87°C and the switch-off is between 76°C and 78°C. but also I have other radiators inside ( 1 row more water pipes ) and those cool much more down than the original.
    but I prefer a switch-off-temperature from under 78°C

20. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Alrighty, got one from Rutlands today, popped it in and we're back to normal. Thanks for the info everyone and for the cooling temp explanation TurboJoe. It's firing on just after the 195 mark now like it should.

These things seem pretty finnicky. The thermoswitch in this car was acting somewhat finnicky the last summer I had it. Car never got too hot, but I did notice that every now and then it wouldn't come on. Then it completely gave right after I got the car back. Probably just the car griping about being stagnant for almost a year.

Cheers

21. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah that 4 seasons switch runs it a little warmer but it works fine. You just have to get used to that guage running a little higher. I found that the car runs very well, never over heats, but that needle rides just over the center line.

22. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Better she runs a bit cooler vs hot. Switch it out

R