Testarossa Coil Power Module Wiring Help | FerrariChat

Testarossa Coil Power Module Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by SBDaytona, Jul 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SBDaytona

SBDaytona Karting

Jul 13, 2010
    #1 SBDaytona, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys, working on an EFI project for a Testarossa and need some help understanding how the coil power module is wired up. Had a bit of a search and can't quite find what I am looking for so please forgive me if it already exists in previous threads.

The coil power module on this particular car has a 7 pin plug with 5 pins used (see pic below).

What I would like to know is which of these wires goes to the ECU and what sort of voltage / signal is sent on each wire to trigger the coil?

Also does anyone know if there is a difference between the US (CAT) cars and the Euro (non CAT) car in this particular area?

Was hoping Sir Steve Magnificent or one of the other gurus of TR electrickery would be king enough to point us in the right direction.

Thanks and best wishes, Sean
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Won't be near a TR wiring diagram until this evening (US time), but will give a shout back if no one else responds by then (but please do respond now if you've got the info Sean is looking for).

3. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    #3 Philwozza, Jul 6, 2016
  4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Run the Bosch part number through Google and you'll see a schematic. It's not Ferrari specific. I used a pair and wired them up to trigger coil packs on a 512M engine in an older application.

5. SBDaytona

SBDaytona Karting

Jul 13, 2010
    All helpful - many thanks as always guys. I have sent the attached info (thanks Phil) to the guy who is making the wiring harness but I think we are still missing a couple of bit of information. I believe that there are two wires that connect the power module with the ECU. We would like to know which these are and what type of trigger signal is sent.
    Haven't Googled the Bosch part number yet Paul - will do that next.
    Great resource - really appreciate the help. Thanks Sean

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I checked all available WDs and the coils are wired the same for all Testarossa:

7-12 coil:
    R (red): to pin #1 on 7-12 coil
    N (black): to ground
    BR (white w/red trace): to pin #10 of ignition module
    G (yellow): to pin #15 on 7-12 coil
    --
    BN (white w/black trace): to pin #9 of ignition module
    --

--------------------------------------------------------------

1-6 coil:
    --
    GV (yellow w/green trace): to pin #14 of ignition module
    --
    G (yellow): to pin #15 of 1-6 coil
    GR (yellow w/red trace): to pin #15 of ignition module
    N (black): to ground
    R (red): to pin #1 of 1-6 coil

As for specific voltages or signals from the ignition module I don't have that information and I don't see any reference in the Workshop Manual. I hope this helps.

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #7 302Tim, Jul 6, 2016
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    SBDaytona
    it would be nice before you ask here because of some problems <ou likwe ti fit that you may fill out your profile and introduce yourself a little
    thank you

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The only thing more that I have from Diagnosis Sheet N. 1 for the two wires of the five that aren't +12V power, ground, and the minus side of the coil is the description that those two wires are "Signal from control unit to power module engine bank 1/6 (or 7/12)", and that at, 1000 RPM, the DC voltage between them should measure 2.8V to 3.2V (but have to think that it would be some sort of square/rectangular wave so using a DC voltage measurement they are just looking for the correct "average" value when troubleshooting).

10. SBDaytona

SBDaytona Karting

Jul 13, 2010
    Many thanks Tim & Steve. Very useful - between the two of you I think we are home. Just to be sure I pulled the coil pack off one the cars and sent it to the guy making the wiring loom. He should be able to test the information you guys have kindly provided on the coil, new loom and new ECU. I will post here if we learn anything that you guys have not already covered. Cant thanks yo enough - especially for the fast turnaround.
    Will write a little story on the TR EFI project if anyone is interested ......... but only if it works!!
    Take care and best wishes
    Sean

11. SBDaytona

SBDaytona Karting

Jul 13, 2010
    Hi Joe - I have been a member for a long time so didn't introduce myself this time.
    Great people and invaluable help for those of us who are hands on.
    Best wishes
    Sean

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    even if you are long time a member here ( I have read this already before my posting ) it is a matter of decency to fill out the profile and introduce yourself at the beginning what you have not done. that you now not do this I understand.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed Sean, we here at the flat-twelve community have no secrets ... so ... why not (please) ?