Testarossa battery light on with engine running | FerrariChat

Testarossa battery light on with engine running

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dradambbb, Jul 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    As per the title, the "not charging" light has lit up on this 87 Testarossa with the engine running. Curiously the light varies in brightness with engine RPM. The higher the RPM the brighter it shines. I can confirm that before this event the dash lights would fluctuate slightly at idle. The belt to the alternator is intact, it's tight and not slipping from what I can tell.

Obviously I am suspecting the regulator here but could there be other causes? I would appreciate the advice from knowledgeable members of this forum.

I found a totally awesome thread on replacing the alternator, giving me confidence that I can replace with engine still in the car.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/492820-testarossa-alternator-replacement-please-help.html

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may first check the voltage output ( thick wire ) at the alternator, so if there is more than the battery has. if so then you have other problem than with the alternator or regulator.
    the "not charging light" gets plus from the ignition key and minus from the alternator when engine not running. when engine runs then the minus from the alternator will change to plus and so the "not charging light" will get plus from both sides and so get off

3. sohailrashid

sohailrashid Karting

Jun 18, 2005
    San Jose California
    Full Name:
    testacalvo
    It seems like your alternator has failed. To confirm, measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. It should be about 13.5V. If it is in 12V range then the alternator is not doing its job.

Remember to take both the rear grill and the rear part of the grill off to get to the alternator. I couldn't get the alternator out without taking both these parts off.

Good Luck.

4. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    You can check the voltage at the cigarette lighter while the engine is running. A healthy charging system will put out around 13.4+ volts, depending on the car and battery state of charge. Anything less than that would indicate a probable fault. I'd say it would be in the regulator or a blown diode in the alternator... perhaps worn brushes. Any of it should be repairable/rebuildable by an alternator shop.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Check the battery terminals and make sure they are clean and tight. Don't start buying parts yet.

R

6. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Okay guys, thanks for all the responses. Today I used two different voltmeters to check the voltage across the battery terminals with engine off and running. Given that voltmeters were giving different results I did the same test on my other car which is newish and has no known issues.

New car
    meter 1: off 12V, running 13.8V
    meter 2: off 13V, running 15V

Testarossa
    meter 1: off 12V, running 14.6V
    meter 2: off 13.5V, running 16V

I also used meter 2 to test voltage at the Alternator - 16.5V.

Getting the alternator out will be a pig of a job but I'll give it a try when there's time.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #7 turbo-joe, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    meter 2 I would say is not working right :(
    when the engine is off the battery never has 13 V. even if you charge the battery with a charger and the battery is complete loaded it never has 13 V. may be directly after charging, but 1 hour later never.

you have those 14,6 V at the testarossa at how many rpm?
    I would also check how much V you have when you switch on the lights, the AC and wait until the fans will start. please let us know the V then at idle and at about 4000 rpm

the voltage at the new car seem for me not so correct, normaly it has to be 14,4 V at about 1500 rpm and higher

as I see it the alternator is working fine, but you may test the voltage under load also

you used a digital voltmeter or an analog? the digital not shows all if the voltage will vary or change fast. at the analog you just see the pointer moving

when you tested at the alternator with meter 2 where you took ground from?

8. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Based on those voltage readings I would say the alternator is working fine. So no need to remove it yet.

It sounds like a bad connection somewhere in the indicator light circuit giving you a voltage imbalance. I don't have TR wiring diagram, but if you have access to one, you should be able to trace the circuit and check all he connections.

I also think you need a third voltmeter to arbitrate between your two existing meters. My guess would be that meter #2 is optimistic and might need a new battery.

9. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    The voltage regulator circuit has its own generation coils and diodes in the alternator (next to the main coils). The bulb illuminates if there is a voltage difference between the two generation circuits.
    It is possible that the generation circuit for the voltage regulation is going bad. It has three coils and diodes, them failing one by one can explain for the worsening symptoms. It also means voltage regulation of the alternator output is compromised.
    If reachable, and if it can be done safely, measure the voltage on the small wire to the alternator while running. If it differs much from the primary voltage, there is a problem in the alternator and it has to be exchanged.

10. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    The battery light can turn on if the alternator output is too low, or too high. If the alternator is providing too much voltage, assuming the regulator works, it comes from either the sense wire (yellow) from the alternator plug making a bad connection, or the 9-pin plug under the water tank (although I'm not sure the 87 TR are wired this way). I spent 2 months tracking my alternator problems, and it came down to the sense wire being faulty at these two points. You can see the thread here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/515678-19-volts-battery-4.html

Check these connections before removing the alternator (not a fun job to do...)

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    One other easy thing to do before removing the alternator is to also measure the AC voltage between the two battery terminals with the engine running. It's not always a definitive test, but can give some insight:

If less than ~0.1V AC (IIRC) = a good sign (and how it should be), but something can still be wacky.

If more than ~0.2V AC = a clear sign that the alternator internals have a problem (so forces the decision to remove the alternator with no chance for regret ;)).

12. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Ok it seems this alternator circuit is possibly different from most. If the sensing circuit is external to the alternator, a high voltage situation is indeed possible if there becomes a problem there. Such normally would not produce a situation with an illuminated charging light (but it can easily fry ECU's or other electronics and even cause a battery to crack/explode).

I stand corrected on mentioning an alternator charging circuit having its own coils. While that is possible, most alternators share the coils and have only separate rectifier diodes for the charging circuit.

13. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Okay, to clarify, both meters are analog. Meter 1 is a cheap modern unit and Meter 2 is an old school item, probably 50 years old. Meter 2 is great for measuring current flow as it won't fry when 10A pass through it but that's another story. I can get a modern digital meter to arbitrate but to me it's clear that the Testarossa is overcharging.

The charging light is dimmer when the engine is idling very low (600rpm). I've checked voltage at both normal idle (1000rpm) and at 3000rpm with and without ancillaries. There's no notable difference.

I took the ground off the battery negative terminal when measuring voltage at the battery and at the frame when checking output directly at the alternator.

I can try to check the connections. The one with the yellow wire came off and reconnected fine. I didn't check resistance. Can also do an AC test across the battery terminals.

If I go ahead to try to remove the alternator on this 87 model, will I have issues with removing the long bolt? In order to lift the engine slightly, do I need to access the engine mounts from underneath or is everything accessible from the engine bay through the top?

14. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #14 302Tim, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Engine mounts from the bottom (bolt) and top (nut)--only remove the center bolts and only the fwd and aft on the alternator side. You only need to jack the motor ~ one inch to gain clearance (don't over-jack or you will stress the other mounts). The alternator removal is a tight fit--I found it easier to remove the plastic housing on the back for the air cooling hose--it's thin plastic and brittle so use care--one bolt holds it on, and I couldn't remove with the alternator in place only when partially removed. If you lowered the motor after getting the long pivot bolt out you would have more room (I kept it jacked). When you remove the alternator you should find a thick spacer washer sandwiched between the front of the alternator housing and the mount (through the axes of the long bolt)--don't lose that. Here are some photos for reference.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

vincenzo likes this.
  15. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Now that is good post! Thank you (nothing wrong with altenator in my car but sure as hell I like to remove it)

16. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    I would absolutely get a good meter to try to figure out what's going on. Based on the numbers you have presented so far, it's far from being clear that the alternator is overcharging.

Your meter #1 is showing 14.6 volts. If accurate, that's not overcharging, that's normal charging. I have a 360 and this morning I took my voltmeter with me along for the ride. On start-up at idle I had 14.8 volts. After a 20 minute drive, the idle voltage was down to 13.7 volts. That's normal behavior.

I would recheck all the connections. Specifically, the culprit may be the yellow/green wire coming from the alternator. On some diagrams, this goes to the panel indicator warning light. I would check it at the alternator connector and at the multi-pin C11 connector under the water tank, if your car has this. And by "checking it", I don't mean just look at it, I would scrape all the contacts (male and female) clean. The behavior of the light as you described indicates a high resistance connection somewhere in this circuit, which may well be a loose or oxidized connector.

On the other hand if you are determined to pull the alternator instead, I would understand your motives. It would give you an opportunity to spend some quality time with your car and it could turn out to be a very satisfying experience.

17. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    #17 rugby, Jul 14, 2016
    If cleaning all the relevant connector points does not extinguish the light, this would be the next logical step. The "small wire to the alternator" would probably be the yellow-green wire (1GV).

I found a version of a TR alternator schematic in the "19 volt" thread referenced above that I am reposting below. Based on that schematic, if any of the diodes in the trio were to go bad, the light would come on.

That's assuming the OP's TR is wired this way.

18. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Took her for a drive today. Charge light stays dimly lit throughout irrespective of RPM. With the engine hot, fans running, lights on at 3K RPM I'm seeing about 14.5V on my meter 1 (that works fine). At idle it drops to about 13.5V or so.

So not going to take the alternator out for now as it looks like it's charging fine. I am suspecting the light circuit at the moment.

19. JoshH

JoshH Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Joshua Hill
    The connector under the coolant tank includes a junction for the charging warning light. I've seen them get corroded badly enough to create excessive resistance and just break off. Either situation will give you a false warning. If you haven't checked there yet, add it to your list.

20. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Another follow-up. I've bought a quality digital voltmeter with known error tolerances. I started her from cold and the voltage at the battery jumped to 15.3V, then as the engine was warming up it dropped down to 15.0V, and with the engine fully warm to 14.8V. At 3K RPM it's 14.9V. With lights and ancilliaries on voltage drops to 12.9V-13.0V. Voltage is never steady throughout.

So it does look like it's time for a new regulator/rectifier. I've started disassembly. Removed the cabling, air hose, undid all the bolts, removed the belt. In reference to 302Tim's pics above, I've pulled out the pivot bolt as far as it'll go and it does hit the coolant pipe as feared. Next job will be to loosen the engine mounts to try to lift the engine.

A couple of questions. Tim's 2nd pic from the top shows a bracket held by two 10mm bolts that supports the removed body panels. In the pic the bracket is still in place. So it must be possible to remove the alternator with those brackets in place? It all looks awfully tight. How to riggle the alternator out assuming I can remove the pivot bolt?

Thanks,
    Adam

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    do you have a small scope? then youmay test again.
    for me it sounds as if 1 diode makes trouble and with a scope you will see if it is ok or not

the different voltages between cold and warm engine is a result of hte charging of the battery. when you start the engine the battery gives voltage out and when running the alternator gives this used voltage back. and the longer the engine runs the less the alternator has to work. so that with warm an dcold engine is only a side effect and has nothing to do with the charging. but may be when one diode has failure and getting warm that this is is the reason because of getting warm, but has nothing to do with engine warm up

22. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    No mate sorry no scope. Charging should be 14.2V-14.7V for a healthy system. I'll need to give the alternator to somebody competent to replace the serviceable elements or it's a trip to the bank for me for a shiny new alternator.

23. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes, leave the coachwork brackets in place. You won't have problems getting the alternator out of the mount bracket but it is tight getting the alternator out from under the shelf. What I did was once the alternator was free I rotated it and removed the single bolt holding on the plastic air duct, then removed the duct. This gave enough room to get the alternator out plus eliminated the fear of cracking the duct--it's pretty thin. Others have removed the 7-12 plenum but I didn't want (or need) to. Thinking back now I don't think I down-jacked the engine after removing the pivot bolt, which would give you another 1-2" so maybe no need to remove the duct if you lower the engine. Just be careful and take your time, you'll get it out.

Raising the engine sounds daunting but it's not--just make sure you cushion the jack against the gearbox (I used wood) and only jack as little as needed to pull the pivot bolt out. I did this with the rear of the car on jack stands (no lift). Let us know if you need more advice.

24. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #24 dradambbb, Aug 6, 2016
    The left side engine bolts came undone without too much effort. Initially when lifting I thought I was lifting the whole car rather than just the engine but that was just due to the weight of the engine. First it was necessary to overcome the effect of the engine weight on the springs then the engine lifted up reasonably easily. The alternator pivot bolt came out easily after that.

The next challenge is the metal breather hose. As per the pic It's preventing me from shifting the alternator to the left. I don't see any mention of it above but did you have to remove the whole breather assembly to be able to wriggle out the alternator?

25. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It took all my dexterity to shift the breather hose out of the way. It's not possible to lift it out without removing the intake manifolds. Instead it shifts left, twisting enables the alternator to be pulled out. I followed the suggestion to remove the plastic covering before extracting the alternator. I'll look to getting it reconditioned rather than replaced if possible.

Note that the spacer washer was placed on the engine side and not the bulkhead side.