Straight pipes: Modernized Testarossa | FerrariChat

Straight pipes: Modernized Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by AxerJk, Jul 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Microphone hooked up to the exhaust of this modernized Testarossa, and it sounds like heaven!

Chris

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-vEAStbiXI[/ame]

2. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Wow. Starts off sounding like a muscle car then screams like a formula 1. Love the F40 like crackle too.

3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    awesome video!

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    At the low end, after starting up, I thought it sounded like a diesel truck! :)

No squeaking though, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut. ;)

5. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Curious about those brakes as well. Difficulty fitting them and how much stronger they are.

6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sounds terrible at idle, but great at speed. Interesting sound comparison between it, and the next video featured on the site with the Countach.

7. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    I definitely want to demonstrate the brakes in the next video. They are much lighter than the stock one's, and I'm sure they work MUCH better too. Enzo wasn't too worried about making his cars stop, lol.

Chris

8. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Man that is great. When I was replacing the clutch, I did a couple of test runs sans exhaust. Wife said she could hear me miles away. We both smiled.

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 qwazipsycho, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    No thanks. I prefer to exit the car with my hearing and brains intact.

10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I have a custom exhaust on my TR. Just two small resonators and after cats. Inside the sound is not offensive. People tell me they can hear me coming and sound like M/C crotch- rocket. Leave my son's house, he says you can hear it donning for a while.

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what is with the twin turbo sound what is announced?

those 2 pipes I don´t like so much. if only single pipe then bigger diameter or each side twin pipes. but the sound is good :)

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nice video !

At least this driver knows that a flat twelve should NOT be driven until 4000 revs but above that ! :D (Imo just a few know and do that ...)

13. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #13 rpissm, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    That does look very cool! I like the wheels too. If it were my car though, I'm not sure I would remove them because that is one of the defining style features of the Testarossa. You'll never see that on a car again, because it will inevitably be labeled a Testarossa ripoff. I do agree that it makes it look more modern though. :)

Chris

15. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Back when I was "experimenting" with exhaust system ideas I tried straight pipes (single pipe for each cylinder bank) and the sound at idle was not good, but once rev'd up it was glorious. When I put on split-tips it sounded quite a bit better at idle, so anything that will create some reflective surfaces or turbulence seems to help.

I believe that TR in the video is John's car, and I think the wheels and brakes are for the 458 Italia...I think it looks great.

16. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow. That is a serious departure from the norm. You probably pissed off a lot of people. Nice work! I'm proud of you.

17. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My car is quiet. My wife would be very upset if I made it loud. I've driven a lot of cars with loud exhaust and I only like it if I'm driving the car aggressively like on a track. If it's that loud all the time I'm more prone to drive too fast on the street. And after days on end of driving a loud car, I get sick of it.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to putting some cutouts in so I could open it up on command. That would be nice. A TR with variable exhaust. LOL!

18. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Now you're talking!

I want a Testarossa, but I don't think I could settle for a stock exhaust. It's too quiet and it sounds glorious with the proper exhaust!

Plus, the car in the video was not that loud inside. We could hold a conversation just fine and my ears were perfectly intact.

Chris

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If I wind it up with stock exhaust it sounds nice. But you hear more mechanical noise than exhaust noise. It's unique.

I've fired my car up with open headers inside a building. That was nutz. Having the exhaust exit the back of the car would make a huge difference in the interior sound. When it's directly underneath the car it's deafening.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sounds like my Simca 1000 did when I was like 18 and I drove it to the muffler shop with no muffler at all. Needs wilder cams or something to make to sound like a race car, not just a car with no muffler.

Sorry not for me, and surely illegal in most places.
    Pete

21. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I had a one off Larini straight through exhaust made for my TR and when Evo magazine reviewed it, Henry Catchpole said "I’ve heard some loud cars in my time, but no road car gets close to the physicality of an unsilenced Testarossa"

I have the exhaust but not longer the car. If anyone would be interested in it (its in the UK), get in touch. Its a total one off and was built only for my car.