testarossa knock off wheels by Motoworx question | FerrariChat

testarossa knock off wheels by Motoworx question

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kiwifaza, Aug 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    Hi, has anyone purchased of or heard any feed beck on these wheels, they are a 18 inch copy/version of the original 16 inch wheel and look identical except they are an 18
    Motoworx

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    and how you know if they are strong enough?
    not that you drive over a small ground wave or even at high speed on a race track over the curbs and they will get cracks or even will break?
    how did they proof the material?
    they also tested on a bench how strong the material is?
    I had a look at the video, but that says not so much.
    with how much tire pressure they tested?
    how many tons falling down?
    all question not answered.

3. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    all good questions

4. Sleestak

Sleestak Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2014
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    I too would like to know more about there TR wheels. I'm currently in the market to buy a set of 18" wheels. I recently had my eye on the HRE 505 series wheel.

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

With regards to Romano's comments... Here is a disclaimer from the manufacturer:

I would imagine that since their rims are not DOT approved and are specified for racing applications only, that your insurance carrier could deny any claims if your car was involved in an accident on public road ways.

Cheers,

Sam

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Nice disclaimer, pretty clear they shouldn't go on a car that you value your life in.

7. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    Sam, Interesting point i hadnt considered,

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If it was wheel related only I think.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

I would think so too... but what if the driver rear-ended someone and the Insurance claimed it was because of non DOT approved wheels (i.e. wheels affected the car's braking ability, etc)? Remember that it is not to the interest of the Insurance company to pay a claim... Secondly, one's insurance "contract" may have "fine print" that nullifies a policy under certain conditions and one of those conditions may be non manufacturer approved parts. For me it is not worth the risk... but everyone has to do what they think best.

Cheers,

Sam

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    in germany here we have a technical testing inspection for all cars every 2 years. if for example you have wheels on not proved the car will get no more a sticker for the next 2 years. if you have wheels on that are proved there are 2 different types of certificates. one certificate says something about the material properties, but not vehicle-specific. when you have such a certificate the engineer from this technical inspection then check if the wheels are matching, so if the car is complete loaded that nothing from the car body will scratch at the tires. also he makes a test drive and turn left and right if the tires are free. then he makes a report and at the traffic office they complete the vehicle papers. the insurance don´t care about if all is registered right. the other certificate is much better. this says that this wheel is matching to this and also to other cars and you don´t have to go to the technical inspection. but this certificate you always have to carry with you. also then the insurance don´t care. but if you have not even one of this then the insurance first will pay of course, but they come then to you and want the money back because you have driven a car what was not legal.