Testarossa wiring expert HELP -start issue | FerrariChat

Testarossa wiring expert HELP -start issue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spiderscott, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Hi guys

Need some help here with my 87 TR spider project.

I had the car running for a while, but been fiddling with it and not worked on it for a while.

Now my car won't start correctly.

Basically when i crack the car over if i hold the ignition switch fully open the car will fire up and run, however as some as I release the key back to start position 1 the car then cuts out ?

I have another 90 TR coupe that I've switched a couple of parts over to eliminate and verify they are not the cause.

1. Ive swopped over the ignition barrel and switch with wiring.
    2. swopped over the complete fuse board

Both made no difference

As mentioned I've worked on quite a few things since the car was last running as it was overheating so I've changed thermostats and had cabling on and off, also previously the fuel pumps were changed. Ive looked at everything but can't see anything I've not reconnected.

Ive looked at all the cables going to the multi plugs at fuse board and they all look good.

If i hold the key open the car runs fine, but once released it dies straight away

Any ideas would be most welcome.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    This can be a symptom of the tachometric relay (F PN = 124717) not working correctly. It controls the fuel pump relays and has two modes -- A) During cranking (key Pos III), it senses the signal going to the starter motor solenoid. If present, the tachometic relay closes = closes the fuel pump relays = runs the fuel pumps. B) During engine running (key Pos II), it senses the 7/12 coil firing = closes the fuel pump relays = runs the fuel pumps.

First thing to do is confirm/deny spark on the 7/12 bank during starter motor cranking. A search on "0280230006" and/or "tachometric relay" should get you some prior threads.

3. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Hi Steve

Thanks for your advice and help (again)

Ok, so I've checked spark on 7-12 and nothing.

Ive switched the techo relay between cars and no change.

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    This is what has to be fixed (there was no need to try a different tachometic relay).

Since you have a "spare" TR ;) -- swap over the 7-12 coil + power module assembly and retest for 7-12 spark (although, if one of those is the problem, it would start and run). If your two TR have different style coil connections, you can also swap the 7-12 coil+power module with the 1-6 coil+power module on the same TR and retest (it will only run on one bank, but it should stay running -- and it's helpful to label things, like with a piece of masking tape to keep track of who's who, and who was where originally). If it does run on the 7-12 bank after the swap, I'd put a 97% probability on the original 7-12 power module being bad, a 2% chance on the original 7-12 coil being bad, and a 1% chance of it being a bad wiring connection problem -- but you should be able to rule individual components in or out by mixing-matching them around.

5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Steve my friend you are a bloody genius

Swopped them over and hey presto fault fixed

If you are ever in the UK, I owe you many a beer :)

Thanks very much
    Scott

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not sure about that, but I will claim to be know how TR work thru many painful experiences ;)

Still sending you much positive mojo for your project - if TR are relatively rare, a spyder TR is a unicorn!