Bottoms up. 512TR market.. | FerrariChat

Bottoms up. 512TR market..

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Sep 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    So I have no life at night.

After wife n kids are in bed, I am on the net.

I scour the net for Ferrari's (as I am adding another one very soon).

I observed in the past 2 months a HUGE difference in averages for 512TRs. I see a low of $85k daily.

I still see the ones for $300k average mind you, not knocking the general worth before some see red and sic the dogs.

I am stating for the very discerning buyer, there are deals out there. I think that is a deal. With the market they way it is, I still feel TR's are a great 12 car and worth every penny.

2. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    IMO if they want to sell ask realistic price hence $85k $300k dealers fishing for suckers.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    a non 94 512tr went for bout 225k at one of the most recent auctions. good luck with your search - I think you will need 200k to get a nice one, and 300k plus to get a mint low mile 94. I take in you are referring to the specific 512tr model and not the previous TRs.

what do you mean by you see a low of 85k daily? if you found an 85k 512tr that's in good shape I suggest you jump on it.

4. lafluth

lafluth Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    Yep. Although there is definitely more volatility in prices generally vs even 6 months ago

5. dantm

dantm Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    YYZ, BOS, SFO
    Full Name:
    Dan B.
    Where are you looking? Some ads may be years old on sites that never delete them...

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mmmh I haven't see that - looking at transaction prices its been rather stable actually.

7. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    There was a Yellow one for exactly $85k, yesterday on AT, but it seems it has sold as well. It had 30k miles too

8. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Do you really think that because someone slaps a $300-$500k sticker, it's worth that much more? Of course not.
    Now of course, there are those that are in much better condition, miles etc that dictate those facts themselves in the price. That to me is exception for a car that has low miles and is in concours condition, I get it..
    BUT, there are many out there brokering to best the next marked up sale..

9. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
  10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You've only shown examples of Testarossa's in that range not a 512TR, two very different cars with a big price difference for a very good reason.

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh I'm not sure I'm following, the 512tr are different than the original testarossas. The one 512tr is from japan and the other one looks like a disaster from the pictures. In fact on the japan listing page there is a 94 at the bottom of the page with 50k miles and they ask is 160k USD. Feel free to look for a car from Europe or asia but if you want a nice/clean/documented 512tr I think the marke is still where I stated earlier. I don't know about the older testarossas but from everything I see good 512tr are stable.

12. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  13. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    #14 FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    No you are right, I had so many tabs up, I made a mistake with posting those (like it wasn't obvious with the black lower effect)..
    I will be honest though, I have known about the weight change between the earlier two models, but I did not realize the HP difference between the J/Euros vs the American ones until now.
    Does not change though that I find wild prices all over with this model, more than most F cars I have seen.

The M is obviously a completely different story.

14. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I saw the 512 from England for 100,000 pounds, which didn't seem too shabby at all. The problem? Conversion and then import fees for me (Canadian) end up being murder. 100,000 turns into almost 200,000 CDN, then add on 15% import tax and another 12% to register. Ouch.

-Matt

15. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I was wondering about that. I don't know what it would take to import either, to the U.S.

16. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Be patient in a year or 2 you will be able to get them pre bubble pricing or less again. I'll sit back watch like a Vulture waiting for this to happen lol Not everyone that buys these cars hold them a long time especially if they need to sell for various reasons

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes if the dow goes back to 8k

18. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Thoughts being theyll need the money due to bad markets and unload the car? I dont see i terest rates going up anytime soon (if say bought in loans).

19. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Snakeeyes....did a poisonous snake bite you before you posted?

you titled this "512tr" not "testarossa market"

512TR is a very different car. And for your records, only 409 came to the US between 92 and 94.

75 512M in the US. See the trend?

These were the last of the Flat 12s from Ferrari. All with the best tech goodies applied to the engine. The rest of the car is pure analogue.

20. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I dont see how the stock market has anything to do with the inflated prices here nor if it falls will have any impact.

The collector car investment market is in its own world, what will bring it down who knows but it is losing some of its momentum, such Discovery channel is getting out of reality TV no more Fast and Loud etc will prob be picked up by Velocity but will not have the same broad appeal.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    when there is blood in the streets people don't transact, prices go down

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I don't know how to say this but you are completely wrong. cars are perfectly correlated to whats going on in equities and bonds.

23. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Show me a chart

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I'm not your analyst. feel free to spend your energy doing it.