512tr Oil pump P#121059 cant find any where | FerrariChat

512tr Oil pump P#121059 cant find any where

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mr_ferrari_sn, Sep 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr_ferrari_sn

mr_ferrari_sn Rookie

Oct 17, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Sari Niazy
    #1 mr_ferrari_sn, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi

I have a Ferrari 512tr year 1993, i have been expirancing low pressure oil after i did full engine restoration. when i first start the engine the oil pressure gagae goes above half level and when the engine warms up it drops to zero and the light comes on. when i excelrate it goes up to 1 bar only! the engine sound is fine and no knoking sound coming from engine when i drove it. i replaced the sensor and it is still giving me the same reading, teated the reading and its was ok.we toke the oil pump apart and we foung scratches inside the housing! and the mechanice is saything that this is the cause.i tried to find one to replace it and i couldnt find any used nor new from factory.

my qustion is where i can find the pump and if its impossible to find dose anyone knows where i can find a place to fix it?

i apprecate your help

regards
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Did you try eurospares.co.uk?
    Ferrparts in the us recently parted a 512TR, they do have some engine parts available.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when I try to open the ferrparts page ( https://ferrparts.com/ ) it is only a white screen. can someone help?
    I´m looking for 2 valve covers for a testarossa ( may be old or new sytle )

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    What was the oil pressure gauge doing before this engine overhaul ? Did you have better pressure before the rebuild. The scratches in the oil pump would have been there previously so might be an idea to look elsewhere. Have you checked the oil pressure relief valve, where ever that is ?
    I would expect the oil pressure gauge to be going hard over from cold and the red light coming on should be ringing alarm bells.
    Might be an idea to not run it before you really damage the engine as something does not sound right here.

It might be the pump but that would have been a problem before- was the crank and bearings in good condition at the overhaul ?
    Is it possable to drop the sump cover with engine in place to look at the crank, oil pick up etc.

5. mr_ferrari_sn

mr_ferrari_sn Rookie

Oct 17, 2011
    Saudi Arabia
    Full Name:
    Sari Niazy
    yes bearing and all other parts were ok, i changed them as a part of engine restoration. the pressure was fine before i do anything to the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the oil pressure was ok before the engine overhaul then the oil pump must be ok. A few scratches in the oil pump casing is not going to cause this lack of oil pressure. For the oil pump to be that worn then the oil pump bearings would have to be falling to bits.
    Is this a dry sump engine ? If so does it have suction oil pumps as well.

7. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    yes right, some scratches on the pump won't cause zero oil pressure, even with high clearances you should still get reasonable pressure. I think you could replace the pump and find you have the same issue.

I assume the 2 scavenge pumps are pushing oil into the oil tank and it's above min level?
    Since you have the pump out, check the pressure relief valve as it seems most likely this is being held open.
    Could be something blocked it (silicone????)

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    It is either:
    A bad gauge
    A bad pump
    A bad pressure relief
    Too much bearing clearance
    A oil galley leak

Do you have a photo of the plastiguage which confirms the final bearing clearance before final assembly?

If the oil pressure was decent before the rebuild, I would doubt the oil pump is the cause.

Don't drive it!

Best luck...
    Vincenzo

9. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Looking for the same, I checked all the usual suspects and NLA. I also came up empty handed for complete used one. Any chance someone here have one for sale?

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The pump is not the problem. Put a new oil filter on it and see what happens. Use the correct UFI filter. Start simple.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I've never seen one that needed to be replaced.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    And if the pressure relief is stuck its nice that you can access it if you drop the oil pan.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    First, did you used a known good mechanical gauge to check pressure? If not, start there.

Could you have swapped wires?

14. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Thanks for the feedback. All is well with my pump , I'm looking for a spare for different reasons. Although great tips if I ever see a drop in pressure.

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I agree with all of this but the bit about the bearing clearence has me puzzled, these style of pumps usually have pressed in bronze bushes in the end covers that the gears run in, so you measure the bearing internal size and the bearing journal on the gear to give you the clearence- where does the plastigauge come into this ?

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Main and rod bearings?

And Plastigauge is a very poor way to do it in any event.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You're supposed to assemble the engine minus a crank. Heads and liners installed with bearings then measure the ID. Measure crank OD. Voila. It's a pain but it's the right way.