512TR pedal box - grease the linkages | FerrariChat

512TR pedal box - grease the linkages

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dgt, Sep 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #1 dgt, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had an ongoing issue with my clutch not feeling quite right in our 512TR, it worked great but the pedal felt stiff to move and slightly inconsistent.
    The engine side of the clutch was all new at the last service so I was sure that the pedal and linkage needed a service.
    So this weekend with the help of my daughter, we removed the clutch pedal box pivot whilst it was still in the car.
    There are 3 small spherical bearings plus needle rollers on the pivot bolt, see photo below. I was reminded these are road cars built by a race car manufacturer :)
    We cut and pushed out the split pins, cracked the nut on top of the pedal box and undid the pivot bolt from underneath.
    Two of the spherical bearings were very crunchy and a bit loose so we pressed new ones in, and the grease on the needle rollers for the pivot had dried out.

We had it back together Sunday morning and I went for a long drive and the clutch was a perfect smooth action.
    It seems the dark grey grease that the factory used holds up for about 20 years, maybe less so I'd highly recommend doing this before things get too crunchy.

Next up is the brake...
    Regards, Andrew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    well done
    but this is one of the terrible jobs to do when you are older because it is hard to reach there.
    good that your daughter helped you :)

kuwait355 likes this.
  3. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Bribed with a Latte, she is always happy to help. :)
    Last year she helped disassemble and clean a Dino engine. Cost me alot of Latte...

kuwait355 likes this.
  4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Good write-up Andrew ! Never thought of that ....

5. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #5 dgt, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The other part of this is the brake pedal linkage, mine was a little loose and crunchy.
    There are two spherical bearings, the lower one pressed into the lever off the pedal box was the problem for me. Grease was long gone.
    I made up a tool to press the bearing out of the lever and reversed to press the new one in, careful to press on the outside edge of the bearing. It was easier to replace than the clutch linkage but still very difficult to get at. I pushed some grease into the top one.

The spherical bearings are SKF (stamped E10), and the cheapest steel type that require maintenance. If I did this again, I'd look for a better bearing to upgrade. I think these should be greased at a major service, would save alot of hassle.

Regards, Andrew