Checking for Info on a 1989 TR | FerrariChat

Checking for Info on a 1989 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jim94-348, Sep 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Anyone familiar with VIN ZFFSG17A2K0080043?

2. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
  3. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They are advertising it at 6400 miles. I believe it is a US car so I don't see how it would be KM and especially that high.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The KMs are totally bogus. They claim similar mileage on my '90 -
    Cheers,
    Vincenzo

5. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That's funny. I checked one of my other TR's and it says new. They are only 30 years off.

6. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I checked the car on CarFax and it only shows two records. One is when it was purchased 10 years ago and the other was when it was put for sale. the last one has the mileage at 6400 miles. Should I be concerned that there is no history of the mileage?

I have taken two of these cars apart and restored them to concours quality so there is no fear there. I'm just concerned about the mileage if I want to resell it.

7. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's where the records come in. When serviced they write the mileage on the receipt, just see if there is a steady progression of miles over time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Understood. I'm not sure what is available in the records. Without records for verification would you purchase a 6400 mile car?

9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I personally wouldnt pay a premium for an ultra low mile TR if the owner couldn't prove its miles. Too many disconnected, replaced, or rolled back odometers out there

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    And also, a 6k car shouldn't NEED a restoration if it's truly a 6k car. How are the seat bolsters? Underside? Tire depth? When were the tires made (in theory they should be original?)

11. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I haven't seen it yet other than a couple pictures of the engine covered in dust and from the outside. They are getting pictures for me. You can't really go by the tire depth as anyone in their right mind would have replaced the tires in 27 years. With that number of miles they would either have dry rot or serious flat spots. Even a car with few miles has had work done to it which could mean incorrect parts, bolts, nuts, and items removed. Paint peeps and leather could also shrink. There could als be surface rust depending on the environment. I should see it later this week.

I appreciate the response and I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are if I ever sell it being that there is no documentation other than of there is obvious wear.