Symptom of a stuck open thermostat? | FerrariChat

Symptom of a stuck open thermostat?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Sep 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone! I was out driving a while today and came to a long downward hill, so I basically coasted. As I did, I noticed my collant getting more and more cool until it was just above 140 F. Do your cars experience this cooling as well, or should I be looking for a stuck open thermostat? Thanks! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Yes have a look at the thermostat as it controls this. Cheap enough to change

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

A stuck open thermostat will also have the opposite effect in that the car can overheat as well. Good idea to check to see if its operating properly.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Verify the engine is the temperature the gauge is indicating. Testarossa's have two thermostats and they are very unpleasant to replace. I wouldn't be quick to blame the stats.

5. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    If you were coming down from Parleys Summit from Park City, then you will be getting a bunch of cooling air with little heat being produced from the engine due to the down slope.

Need to run it at idle in the driveway to see if the fans come on and off as designed.

6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah I was, as a matter of fact! :)

My thought though was that, below midpoint (or near there, anyway - does anyone know the temp that the thermo closes?) the thermostat would close up to regulate the temp, keeping it close to 195, for optimal combustion. I haven't had any problems with high temperatures. The fans come on fine, it might make one tick above 195 every now and then, but that's all.

7. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    How did I know. Oh yea, I grew up in PC hahahah. I have to deal with heat in L.A.....but its better than snow and temperature inversion in the winter.

If the fans kick on and off normally, you should be fine. Mine kick on at about 195, drive it down then will kick on again at 195 under normal hot conditions.

Glad to help Joe.

8. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    My Countach did this on a drive in the summer once. Seems all gauges were reducing their values together.

Culprit was dropping voltage due to a loose wire at the alternator and a discharging battery.
    While a Countach with simple points ignition may operate on less voltage than a TR with an ECU, I would still check the gauge, the sensor and the contacts between.