512TR AC - intermittent power | FerrariChat

512TR AC - intermittent power

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Sep 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I need some help. The AC push buttons on my 1994 512TR work intermittently. When they don't work, no evaporator fans, no AC, when they do, cold air blows out of the vents. By accident, I was looking for a blown fuse and I bumped the "I" connector on the driver's side of the fusebox and everything started working. I removed the "I" and "J" connectors, cleaned the contacts and replaced the connectors and all worked well for several months, but now it's back to intermittent and random and the fix above does not work. I want to trace the wiring path to and from the push buttons.

I have tried and tried to follow the wiring diagrams in the workshop manuals, but I can't figure them out (they are repos of marginal quality). Can someone tell me which wire on which connector brings power to and from the push button switch and from there which wire exits the fusebox to the evaporator fan? I would be much obliged, and can then start hunting the problem.

2. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Jim...have you tried replacing the relay in this system?

3. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Ah, now we are getting somewhere. Which relay handles these controls?

4. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    JIM....I always break out the electrical manual.

Looks like fuse 5 and relay G.

5. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Goes from relay G and out through the H1 connector...

6. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Also looks like there is a relay in 60018 (ac control unit)

Did you take this out of your console yet? Please post picks, but starting with relay G on the fuse box would be the easiest starting point.

7. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I5 connects to 60018 as well.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #8 Melvok, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Tim: Great advice, I now have a plan. Is there an separate electrical manual for the 512TR? If so, this is invaluable, and I need one, as 90% of the repairs I have made over the last 15 years are electrical in nature. I have the Dave Helms Fuse Box upgrade, and I intend to do the gold terminal conversion one of these years.

I have circuit testers and digital voltmeters and a basic knowledge of electrickery, but despite hours poring over the wiring diagrams in the shop manual with a magnifying glass, I cannot decipher the circuits.

Do you have the time to provide a detailed circuit path from the ignition switch to the condensor unit? I need simple, like "power goes from the ignition switch via a blue wire to pin 2 on the H connector and provides power in to the AC relay 5. The push button grounds relay 5 via position 2 on connector H via fuse 5, etc".

You say there is a relay in the AC control unit on the console? Mel indicates a control unit behind the fuse box, but I don't recall that many separate units behind the fuse box as indicated in the picture. I also do not recognize the two larger control unit he pictures. Mel, can you explain further?

Also, Mel, thanks for all your past help. Wolfie has the package from the panel-beater and returns here in 12 days.

And yes, photos will be provided.

10. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Mel, I don't recall ever seeing those Bosch relais on the 512TR, and the picture of the area behind the fuse box does not look right either, but my memory may be playing tricks on me.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Both TR and 512TR seem to have separate Bosch relay.

The one shown is for Testas, I have no photo of the 512TR unit.

But more likely it is a bad connector (again) ....

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I agree.

13. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    I think he is referring to the workshop manual, section L - electrical system.

14. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Jim...I'm waiting for Dontiglion to get me a clean wiring diagram. We will figure this out.

You should be able to swap a similar relay on the fuse box to see if you get an immediate change.

15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    That will get done later today. I changed all the relays out for new Bosch units 5 years ago, but you never know.

16. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    OK, I know the problem. Now I need to know how to fix it quickly, as I plan to take this car on my annual golf vacation to Sandestin, Florida in 10 days (about 1100 miles total).

On the "I" connector at the fusebox (6 contact vertical connector on driver's side), with the key in "run" position, the second contact from the top (yellow/black stripe) and the bottom, or 6th contact (solid yellow) wires are hot. Power from these contacts activates both relay "G" (air conditioning system control and relay "S" (key controlled services). The push buttons on the console either ground or allow voltage to the AC unit, working the evaporator fans, etc.
    Both contacts must have power for the system to function. The push button also controls power to the AC compressor clutch.

My relays are both good. When I wiggle the "I" connector I can hear/feel the relays making contact, and, if i physically push in on the "I" connector, everything works. Just to make sure, I made jumper wires with spade connectors and inserted them into the "I" connector contacts 2 and 6 and then touched the other ends to the corresponding terminals on the circuit board, and voila! - everything functions perfectly.

Now that we know the problem is in the "I" connector, how do I correct it? Is there a way to crimp the terminals so that they make tighter contact? Do I have to take the terminals out of the connector, and, if so, how? I plan on installing the Dave Helms Gold Connector kit in the future, but I need a fast and dirty fix for right now. I already tried cleaning the contacts with electronic cleaner and applying Stabilant, which seemed to help for a while. As a last resort I can fashion 6 individual jumper wires, but there must be an easier way. How to I take the connectors apart?

17. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Gold connectors....No!!! You need a lesson in connector contacts. PM me for my cell phone...we need to talk.

18. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #18 tf308, Oct 1, 2016
  19. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #19 tf308, Oct 1, 2016
  20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Yes, please. I am a quick learner.

21. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Is there a trick to opening up the connector to get to the contacts?

22. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Can't remember the trick, but the brown part separates from the colored part and the wire will release from the harness.

23. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #23 JIMBO, Oct 2, 2016
    The "I" connector in question is opposite the blue "K" relay. I've removed and re-inserted this connector many times trying to search a malfunction in the starter circuit (top white wire). The connectors are only rated for a specific number of re-insertions, then they start to fail. I've just spoken with Tim (tf308) and I'm going to obtain some new connectors from Mouser Electronics in the AM, meanwhile I will take the connector apart and try to squeeze (tighten) the connectors and see if it works.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Check the insulation isn't burned or melted at the crimp, this will indicate how hot they got.
    If they are burned you might also need to remove the whole board, unscrew the back panel and resolder the male pins which have 2 through pin mounts soldered to the back of the circuit board stack. Sometimes they get so hot the solder melts on the board and the board can burn also.

That being said, your wires in the photo look ok so connector replacement should be fine.
    Make sure you have the correct crimping tool, they are quite costly unfortunately.

25. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I took the wires out of the connector, none look broken or burned. The male connectors on the board appear intact and solid. Can I simply crush the female connectors a tiny bit with a pliers to increase contact pressure until I can obtain and install new connectors?