BJ 1991 TR Just sold. Super deal or dodged bullet | FerrariChat

BJ 1991 TR Just sold. Super deal or dodged bullet

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jlonmark, Oct 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    1991 FERRARI TESTAROSSA - 199464

Mind you the picts are awful, there are no pics of the interior, the exterior is from far away and in the rain. No mention of books, service history, major, etc. I'm assuming it needs the major and a clutch. Does anybody know this car?

Vin#ZFFSG17A8M0088618

Hammer price $68,000 + 10% + Shipping. Say $75k.

Was this a screaming deal? Well bought? Bad car? Sign of the market cooling?

2. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Clean no atories with service now a days can be had for 85/90k

3. mnogj

mnogj Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Are there any "low" mileage, clean no stories TR with service records for sale in that price point? I am in the market for one. Thanks in advance if anyone has any leads...

4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    30/40k miles and yes can be had for that find one and make an offer market is slow

5. Shopcat

Shopcat Karting

Nov 14, 2015
    NLA
    49k mile 88.5 w/fresh engine out service just sold here from a dealer, he was asking $77k. Starting to get close to the point where it would be hard not to own one for the money... another 20k drop and thats one helluva car for 55k....

6. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought the car sold for much less than all the others I've seen for sale. Especially with the low miles.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "17,154 actual miles"

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Of course had I been able to see the car, look and touch it, I could have made a better decision. It is odd that there are ONLY 4 picts of the car, in the rain, and from across the street. ZERO interior picts, ZERO engine picts, no mention of books, records, service. I was at $67 and got outbid as you can see. May have been ok to sit this one out

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I haven't received any serious offers on mine, which is listed in the ad section.

10. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Looks like this result cost me a sale on my 1986 today when a potential buyer thought the auction results where indicative of the market - I do know it is slow out there for these classics

11. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I always thought BJ was a bad place to sell a Ferrari.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its a great place to buy a ferrari!

13. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Auctions are a bad place to buy and sell IMHO. Bad for the buyer because you cant do a proper PPI. Bad for the seller if they dont set a proper PPI and limited audience.

14. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    There are 35 Testarossa's on eBay at this time, I have never seen that many before.

15. Shopcat

Shopcat Karting

Nov 14, 2015
    NLA
    What do you consider a serious offer? At 38k miles I would think your car would sell in the 90s based on other recent sales.

16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    tr selection is great at this time.close to elections and the most stressful elections imo and people are nervous to make big purcahses at this time.

17. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    It's clearly better to buy a properly serviced, well cared for car with more miles than a low mileage example that has been abused (as in just sat, not driven serviced). Of course the large majority of the unsophisticated buyers only care if the car has "low miles." These cars are built to be driven.

18. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #18 sparta49, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    I would think with the luggage and accessories and condition , upgraded differential and upgraded fusebox I would think mid nineties to 115K

19. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #19 raysur, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    You have a really nice car Frank. Most buyers want no stories, 100% original cars and your car is so close. Your car has no story. Just great history of care and prevention. Remove the front badge, tint and repair the bolster --your car will stand out. The records your car has is impressive. Best of luck with the sale.

I wouldn't relate any price to the BJ '91 TR. The seller didn't provide info, let alone post good pictures. Plus it is already being flipped:

1991 Ferrari TESTAROSSA | Valley Park, Missouri | Velocity Motorsports LLC

No records... previous owner is finding them. :D If it wasn't handed over in the sale they don't exist. How could anyone expect someone who is unorganized to have a sorted car.

It seems auction houses, mentioned recently, are dipping in quality. They should have a standard with the info that is needed. I don't need to learn about the history of the Testarossa. Just give the history of your car. And pictures! Even RM Sotheby had horrible pictures. People need to clean their cars before selling them. Why would the auction house let filth across their stage? It hurts the price of the car and their auction house's brand.

20. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I suspect most of these "low miles" cars are nothing of the sort.

21. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thank you. I did have the bolster redyed and it came out great. The tint I have left on because they did a great job on the tint and it does help preserve the interior from the sunlight. The front horsie takes all of five minutes and a Phillips head screw driver to remove.

22. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I wouldn't either. I think if it went for 67K at BJ it would go at least 20% higher even with the bad description and pictures at an auction more suited to exotics than muscle cars. I had a wholesale offer on my car that was a lot higher than what the BJ car sold for.

23. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    So figure $75+ service = $85, then interior needed $5k. Then you're in it for $90 with no records, luggage, books. And who knows about the condition of the paint. Let's hope the dealer gets $150 and picks up the market

24. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    What would it take to feel comfortable with a car with no records (but recent major) instead of one with records?

If they just do a major would that be enough to make the cars equals?

I would want every system gone over. Not a full restoration but definitely go through the whole car.

25. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You'd have to go through the whole car - you know NOTHING about it.

It's the same as the Sotheby's auction coming up - no history, no majors. Talk about a bummer, or, rolling the dice.

-Matt