78 BB changing hands again | FerrariChat

78 BB changing hands again

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Oct 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Not sure what its been selling for each time its changed hands, curious to see what happens this time around. Would love to see if the engine has been cleaned up.

Ferrari: 512 BB FERRARI | eBay

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  3. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    The dashboard does not look like a BB dashboard.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You're correct, its not.

5. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I don't understand why anyone would change the dash on this model.

6. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The dash, center console, seats, and steering wheel are all incorrect.

8. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  11. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Poor car keeps getting flipped can't find a home, Bonhams had info I didn't know was stolen in the 80s.

When I had it the cam covers were red, looks like they cleaned up the motor painted them black during the engine out.

Concerning the dash, its done first class, heavy fibreglass and the best quality leather, the removal of the big ugly pod on from the factory offers an unparaelled road view straight down the hood. Why I never changed it back even when parts were cheap and available from FerrariUK.

I believe the Germans changed the cams from stock it had a total race sound, they definately changed the orafice tubes and other parts in the carbs as they were not stock.

When the dust settles Ill buy it back for half what I sold it for and won't sell it next time, I let it do its little tour of America having $$$ dumped in it along the way.

12. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I saw this car at Overstreet and it obviously has been cleaned up, especially in the engine bay --- as others have said it had an engine out major service. My question is does anyone know about the rear frame structure of this car? All of the rear sub frame looked nice, shiny, and recently painted ---- with NO chassis # stamped on the rear frame where it should be. It almost appeared as though the entire rear frame had been "remanufactured". Could the car have been in an accident at one time and the rear frame of the car was rebuilt? After all, the rear bumper appears to be from a BBi.

13. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    There is a vin stamped on the rear frame its hard to spot.

Its hard to tell why certain parts are on the car not correct, I do know the car was in pieces when the FBI seized it, also the Zender factor so parts where bought used with what might have been available.

When I got the car there was way too much filler on the rear deck lid, it was cracked to metal from flexing of the rear decklid, the car had a mild accident some time in its past tapped as my body man called it, they re worked all the metal straighter so all that filler was not needed, it also had big stress cracks in the filler on the front hood by the hinges from flexing when opening it, we welded in a patch on one side where the aluminum was too thin.