What oil do you use? | FerrariChat

What oil do you use?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Oct 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone!

I'm a member of an engine building group on Facebook and someone asked the group what kind of oil he should use on his '85 Ford 302. They all were adamant that he should use an oil that contains extra zinc because of the age of his engine and how modern oils don't contain the minerals needed by engines of that era. I use modern Castrol 20w-50. Do you guys use the special oil for old engines, or are our engines not susceptible to the same requirements as other old engines?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yes this theory (zinc) is followed by several here. While I have not used it, a lot of responses to threads like this suggest brad penn oils for classic cars.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd not characterize it as "extra ZDDP", but rather "historically normal levels of ZDDP" -- i.e., it's more that manufacturers have reduced the ZDDP levels in recent times for emission reasons. I've been using a 50~50 mix of Mobil1 10W40 (1000ppm ZDDP IIRC) and 20W50 (1500ppm ZDDP IIRC) to try to keep the ZDDP level up without raising the viscosity too much, but I live in a very warm location. However, I'm no expert, didn't stay in a Holiday Inn, and have no evidence to justify it ;)

4. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I use their 20w50 that has 1500ppm zddp IIRC.

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Red line has sufficient zddp levels, and is widely viewed as a quality oil, with a good base stock. It is full synthetic. All oils certified to SM and later standards have reduced zddp. Redline does not API certify its oils, and so can use whatever formulation it chooses, and it has kept the zddp level to the level appropriate to serve the older engine requirements. eg. the 10w40 that I use (as per the owners manual spec for my Mondial 3.2) Redline does "recommend" that their oil is suitable for SM, SN, SL and CF specifications. But technically, as it is not certified, if you used it in a new car under warranty, a manufacturer might deny a warranty claim for an engine failure based on not using oem specced API certified oil. As I and many others swear by Red line for transaxle gear oil, it is not much of a stretch to believe in Red line as a quality oil.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #6 vincenzo, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #7 moysiuan, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    The general rule of thumb is 1000ppm zddp is sufficient, as with all things more is not necessarily better. 1500ppm probably the max for the benefits, more than that towards 2000ppm and higher downside occurs, being the pitting/spalling of bearings and wear surfaces. It is a bit more complicated in that too much zinc causes the engine problems, and too much phosphorous potentially can damage a cat. Many of the Mobil oils would be fine. Redline I think is at the 1200 to 1300ppm level.

Zddp has been used for more than 50 years, so lots of data on what the right levels are for various applications. Deisel and heavy equipment oils with high pressure and loads remain reliant on this additive, at least for now but as chemistry advances and emissions standards are clamping down on the heavy equipment industry as well, these oils will probably also have reduced levels of zddp in due course as well.

The phosphorous only causes cat problems if the engine is burning oil and gets into a cat, where it coats the catalyst and reduces it effectiveness. That's the main reason oem's were asked to reduce zddp and allows OEM's to meet long emission warranties without worrying about engine wear causing emission failures during their warranty period.

I personally would not want to add zddp additive as going too high is not without consequence. Better to get the specs like the Mobil one chart, and pick an oil that is at the 1000ppm or higher level, and you are good to go.

Redline is a good oil, but pricey, and I no doubt have succumbed to the marketers and have become an oil snob. Like fine wine, whatever makes you feel good as long as the basic speccs are in order.