87 TR will not start | FerrariChat

87 TR will not start

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by flyboy, Oct 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flyboy

flyboy Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    Ludington Michigan
    Full Name:
    Les Kaines
    TR will not start. No fuel to motor. Car has no fuel pump relays and has not had any the 8 years I have owned it. Have checked for voltage on the violet wire from tachometric relay and have none when cranking. Have tried jumping 12v to the violet wire on white connector but pumps still don't run.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK, you've piqued our interest, but we're going to need a little more explanation about that ;). Seriously, there has to be some sort of high-current capable switch(es), or relay(s), somewhere -- you can't run two Bosch CIS pumps off a hot lead from the ignition switch. Consequently, diagnostic steps that make sense doing on an unmodified system might not be useful at all on a modified system (but you did rightly to try the violet wire test if the tachometric relay is still present and seem to still be connected). If you can describe/find the modifications, glad to help/comment if I can, but need more information about the mods.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have never seen a TR with no relays for fuelpumps ... :D (I will follow this thread to see this will be solved)

You are in the best hands here possible with Steve !

Good Luck !

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    no fuel pump relais? this never can work then
    could you please post some pictures from the fuse- relais box to see clearer?

just put 12V plus directly to the pumps and see if they work. also check ( - ) minus/ground at the pumps

5. flyboy

flyboy Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    Ludington Michigan
    Full Name:
    Les Kaines
    #5 flyboy, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Will attempt to attach photo of fuse panel. There are some wires obvious not original, a yellow jumper between two brown. Tachometric relay contacts cleaned have not checked terminal voltages with different key positions per Steve M post of 2010.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Eeeck! That looks seriously crazy. It appears that both fuel pumps are now connected to the (single) relay that runs the air conditioning system (so the tachometric relay is completely out of the picture and the fuel pumps would run whenever the key is "on").

First, have you checked the AC fuse? I don't see how it wouldn't blow if it was running both fuel pumps and the AC (or even just both fuel pumps).

The contact in the k white connector with the big brown wire usually gets burned up just running the air conditioning system. Putting the current of both fuel pumps thru it is way too much (even if the air conditioning system is off). I'd suggest that you unplug that k white connector and inspect the condition of the male and female connectors for that brown wire. If by some miracle, they aren't burnt to a crisp, try replacing the AC system relay (which would also be way overloaded running both fuel pumps - even if the AC system was off).

As a quick first check, if you turn the key "on", push an AC button, and set the cabin fan speed to maximum -- but the cabin fan doesn't work at all = that confirms there's probably something bad in the AC fuse-AC relay-brown wire in k connector food chain.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    where go the red wires connected to the white?

8. flyboy

flyboy Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    Ludington Michigan
    Full Name:
    Les Kaines
    I checked the fuel pump fuses and they were both good but as you can see they are both 25amp instead of the 15 called out and I had not noticed until now that the AC fuse is 40 instead of the 20 called for. will test test the AC this afternoon.

9. flyboy

flyboy Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    Ludington Michigan
    Full Name:
    Les Kaines
    Steve
    checked the AC fan it does not run. AC fuse is good and checked AC relay with meter against like relay for horn and continuity the same. Does not rule out contact points not making up on activation. I did not try replacing AC relay with another of same number.Don't think AC has worked since I have had the car but I do know the fan did work with the heater.

10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    You are saying that a PO at some point bypassed the pump relays in the panel and powered the power from some other source and now the car will not start? If thats the case the only thing to be done is trace the wires back to where they tapped into power. That or the pump(s) have gone bad. Sorry, I don't know if TR's have 1 or 2 pumps

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Might be a good time to pull the panel and send it to Scuderia Rampante for an upgrade.

Then while it is out, you can have better access to return the spagetti to OEM. Give 'em a call - I would imagine that they will help you in your efforts. With their help and Steve's input you can put the issues behind you once and for all.

Best Luck,
    Vincenzo

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #12 Steve Magnusson, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    That's pretty damning evidence, but I can't really recommend that you just "fix" what you have now -- way too much fire/meltdown risk, and you've lost the safety feature that turns the fuel pumps off in a bad crash. The sad part is that this "modification" was probably all driven by the white connectors for the fuel pump(s) getting burnt. All you would need to do to get back to something more reasonable is "umbilical" out some ...101 relays from the existing fuel pump relay sockets connecting 87-to-87, 87a-to-87a, 85-to-85, and 86-to-86. The output wires going to the fuel pumps would be connected to the terminal 30 of each added relay (these output wires to the fuel pumps are labeled beige and beige-black on the schematic, but often look more brown and brown-black). Otherwise, it's the SR route Vincezo recommended (and they do essentially the same thing, adding remote relays to bypass the white connectors).

13. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    This!

14. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #14 theunissenguido, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nice Guido ! Thanx

I see wires above the word FERRARI ... is there maybe a separate fusebox with relays behind that panel ??

16. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The colorcodes in this diagram are only mentioned to have a clearer view...those are not the colorcodes for the incoming wires.
    As you see the 2 big + connectors are connected. I use this diagram to make those fuseboards sold by that website. Instead of 2 separated loops of the positif, I make 1 loop in circle, connecting all + to that 2 big connectors.
    The black wires from b7 going to w4 are the negatif, those are connected to chassis/negatif battery.

Guido

17. flyboy

flyboy Rookie

Jul 18, 2008
    Ludington Michigan
    Full Name:
    Les Kaines
    Latest update: fuel pumps were bypassed using the AC relay. I removed the mother board and found the AC terminal in the K connector to be burned off at the rear as Steve suggested, also obvious that at some time the circuit for the fuel pump also burned the back of the board. I needed to get the car from my garage to my hangar for the winter, I intend to drop the motor to change belts and address other items. Add to list replace motherboard and get system back to spec. Jumper wire from battery to fuel pumps and drove the car to hangar. Thanks for the help from all and I expect I will be needing more before everything is complete.
    Les

18. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    You may trying pulling the metal box cover off the 2 fuel pump relays and reinstall them on the mother board, try and check if the low current trigger circuit on the relays are still working. Basically the Scuderia Rampante upgrade runs a wire off the trigger circuit of the high power draw relays, into a stand alone relays and fuse box, then tied downstream into the wire harness, bypassing the motherboard.

19. enzo52

enzo52 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Paris
    Full Name:
    Depensadie Seraphin
    For half that price you have a new fusebox from Guido...

Enzo52

20. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Even better, you can duplicate the SR upgrade for around $175 in parts if you can do some basic wiring. It's not that hard.

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Correct .... but he Scuderia Rampante is extreme good and well known for quality ... you can mention that when you sell the can one day (invoice) ...

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Les, I hope this doesnt come across the wrong way but I would like to hear more of your TR adventures. In other words, dont be a stranger to the forum. We all learn from the collective knowledge of problems and solutions.

Keep the blue side up.

23. Santino1

Santino1 Karting

Jun 4, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I'm not trying to market anything here, just trying to help a fellow TR owner save himeself $2k for a store bought repair.

24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Personally, I would not buy a car with hacked wiring. It is far too difficult to assess the quality or engineering behind the changes during a sale.

If a known repair was completed (like the SR modification) the 'hack' issues go away.

Cheers,
    Vincenzo

25. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have the SR fusebox upgrade in my Testarossa. The best money I ever spent on the car.